Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to open up the head light lens to clean inside them? Mine has some grim on the inside that I would like to clean, but I can't figure out how to open them?

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
You can remove the headlight from the car and remove the ballast assembly and it will allow you access to get in there (not quite big enough for your hand) but you can put a rag on a paint stirrer and wipe down. It's also large enough to get a vacuum hose in there.

·
Registered
716 Posts
You can remove the headlight from the car and remove the ballast assembly and it will allow you access to get in there (not quite big enough for your hand) but you can put a rag on a paint stirrer and wipe down. It's also large enough to get a vacuum hose in there.
I didn't know this but will say good post :patriot:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Worth a shot.

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
To be fair. The units are sealed from the factory. The lens is bonded to the painted base and then the lights and ballast assemblies are added to the painted base. You can't easily separate the lens from the base but you can get roughly a 3" diameter opening when you remove the sealed HID and ballast assembly which pulls the chrome trim ring out as well. What you are left with looks basically like this:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be fair. The units are sealed from the factory. The lens is bonded to the painted base and then the lights and ballast assemblies are added to the painted base. You can't easily separate the lens from the base but you can get roughly a 3" diameter opening when you remove the sealed HID and ballast assembly which pulls the chrome trim ring out as well. What you are left with looks basically like this:

Crystal clear now that photo was posted. :goodpost::goodpost::goodpost: Thank you for posting up the photo. I can get a vacuum hose in there and then cloth around yard stick or something. Can I use regular glass cleaner on the inside? Or should I use something different?
:patriot:

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
Crystal clear now that photo was posted. :goodpost::goodpost::goodpost: Thank you for posting up the photo. I can get a vacuum hose in there and then cloth around yard stick or something. Can I use regular glass cleaner on the inside? Or should I use something different?
:patriot:
Avoid a glass (or any cleaner) with alcohol in it. Mild soap and water is going to be best. The lens is a hardcoated polycarbonate and the alcohol will damage the hardcoat over time. Further, if it can leave a film it can risk damage from the heat exchange inside the lens.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Avoid a glass (or any cleaner) with alcohol in it. Mild soap and water is going to be best. The lens is a hardcoated polycarbonate and the alcohol will damage the hardcoat over time. Further, if it can leave a film it can risk damage from the heat exchange inside the lens.
Gotcha. But if I use water then I should make sure I leave them out in the sun to dry 100% other wise they will fog up. :thumbsup3: I almost didn't post this question today. Happy I did. Thanks again Talon. :beer-fresh:

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
Gotcha. But if I use water then I should make sure I leave them out in the sun to dry 100% other wise they will fog up. :thumbsup3: I almost didn't post this question today. Happy I did. Thanks again Talon. :beer-fresh:
My pleasure. Yes, also consider hitting it with a good dose of compressed air to blow out as much as you can. A hair dryer would be fine as well.

Also, your light assembly won't look exactly like this. This is a mockup used in the paint match process but you'll get the idea about the opening left when the ballast is removed.

·
Registered
146 Posts

How long would it take to get the head light assembly looking like this? I might clean mine too if it doesn't require day to disassemble everything.

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
How long would it take to get the head light assembly looking like this? I might clean mine too if it doesn't require day to disassemble everything.
Remove wheel, wheel well liner. Remove front fender (or loosen the front half to clear the light assembly), remove front fascia. Remove headlight gasket. Remove three bolts holding headlight assembly in place. Once light is out then you can start the process of removing the ballast which would be another 15 minutes or so.

Reverse to re-install.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Remove wheel, wheel well liner. Remove front fender (or loosen the front half to clear the light assembly), remove front fascia. Remove headlight gasket. Remove three bolts holding headlight assembly in place. Once light is out then you can start the process of removing the ballast which would be another 15 minutes or so.

Reverse to re-install.

Well that seems like a lot of work. Mine aren't that dirty yet :Banane08: I did just save that though for when the times comes. thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts