Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my 2006 C6 new and am pleased. I have about 40K miles. I store it for about 3 months each winter. I have noticed that gas milage appears to be degrading each year. When new I used to be able to get about 22/mpg combined. It has been degrading slowly. Since I took it out of storage this year the mpg was closer to 16. I thought it might be the computer so I am a measuring the old fashioned way. Beofre I bring it into the dealer I thought I might post it go get some input. The only modification is 3 year old a K & N cold air intake (whcih should get better milage).
Thanks,
JimL

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I do know as the ethanol content has gone up , the gas mileage also has decreased

·
Registered
286 Posts
hmmm, you may have gunk built up in the fuel system due to storing it. I havent noticed any degredation in my fuel mileage, but I drive the car year round. Perhaps run some quality fuel system cleaner and see what happens.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I do know as the ethanol content has gone up , the gas mileage also has decreased
Definitely use a good fuel injection cleaner (like Techron), but what is the fuel make up in your neck of the woods right now? In CA, you usually see ethanol added to the mix certain times of the year for emissions. It's obvious that the mileage in both of my vehicles decreases about 5-15% with the ethanol added. Either way, I can't complain much about the MPG my Vette gets. On 2 lengthy trips in the last year, I've averaged about 28.5 mpg in the 65-85 mph range, with one stretch coming in at 30.2. As far as average combined MPG around town, it's about 19-21 mpg.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
At 40k, you shouldn't need one...but have you thought about getting a tune-up?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
check your plug wires. They're 5 yrs old and may have degraded.

Have you checked your airfliter and MAF for dirt?

Any other signs the car isn't running right such as rough idle?

Also run your tank down to an 1/8 before filling up with new gas. Could be just bad gas. Do the injector cleaner as suggested above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts