Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Non that are on the market. I had heard rumor that Techco before they went under were working on a hood that was a functioning ram air, but only with their blowers.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The Z06 setup is supposedly functional.

For most modern fuel injected V8 cars, a functioning hood scoop is tough to achieve as the intake manifold designs feed air from the front of the manifold with a TB and MAF in front of the manifold. That requires the scoop to be very far forward or the air has to make 180* turn.

This is why the Vararam design is popular. It is as close to the old school sealed forced air hood scoop as you can get.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Z06 setup is supposedly functional.

For most modern fuel injected V8 cars, a functioning hood scoop is tough to achieve as the intake manifold designs feed air from the front of the manifold with a TB and MAF in front of the manifold. That requires the scoop to be very far forward or the air has to make 180* turn.

This is why the Vararam design is popular. It is as close to the old school sealed forced air hood scoop as you can get.
You remind me of one down side to a functioning hood scoop and that is sucking in water, this would be a engineering challenge. Is there such thing as a filter that keeps water out?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
A filter isn't going to stop the water in a puddle. I once saw a product for the NSX that vacuum release that would open if it started to suck up water. Never seen anything like it for other cars.

Just remember your vette is not a U-Boat and the Vararam is ok.

·
Banned
1,252 Posts
The SS hood is somewhat of a "ram air". It has a forward facing scoop a little larger than the Z's. And the air is then forced in front of the radiator through two ducts that also have a water containment provision. This provides cooler underhood air in the "stock" air filter area. As mentioned before a "true" ram air would be forcing air into the intake. The alternative is a CAI and one of these hoods, forced cold air and cooler underhood temps. :burnout:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The SS hood is somewhat of a "ram air". It has a forward facing scoop a little larger than the Z's. And the air is then forced in front of the radiator through two ducts that also have a water containment provision. This provides cooler underhood air in the "stock" air filter area.
If you are referring to the Camaro SS the 4th gen hood, it didn't provide any measurable benefit. All the fast SS's added the FTRA (or similar system) sealed to the airbox. The WS6 hood on the Firebird was a little more functional and could be modified to be a true ram air. :cheers:

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you are referring to the Camaro SS the 4th gen hood, it didn't provide any measurable benefit. All the fast SS's added the FTRA (or similar system) sealed to the airbox. The WS6 hood on the Firebird was a little more functional and could be modified to be a true ram air. :cheers:
What does "SS" stand for anyway?

·
Banned
1,252 Posts
Sorry, I am talking about SS Vette. Don makes some fine corvette parts. I have one of his hoods, just working out the rest of the body work. :seeya:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The hood on my car from SIC has a functioning front inlet.AIR gets dropped into the filter area when I move the car.RAM AIR??Not quite,but it helps!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
What does "SS" stand for anyway?
If you owned a Trans Am or Mustang, those owners believed that SS = Super Slow. :rofl:

I assume Super Sport, but don't recall my Camaro history very well these days.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine lets cold air into the engine bay but not into the filter. The filter system I have has a ruber seal to prevent the hot air coming from the engine into the filter. I get all the cold air into the engine and the vent cools the engine down about 10 degree according to the temp gage..

·
Registered
654 Posts
Mine lets cold air into the engine bay but not into the filter. The filter system I have has a ruber seal to prevent the hot air coming from the engine into the filter. I get all the cold air into the engine and the vent cools the engine down about 10 degree according to the temp gage..
Is that a film or painted over your head lights?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts