Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go around a corner on a low tank of fuel the motor looses power and wants to die.I think that I'm not getting fuel. the fuel pump is set the way it should be, in side the tank. The pump has a filter on the bottom. I think that if I add line to the filter so it will go side to side it will stop the problem. Anyone have any idears.
Thanks;
Maurice

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
When I go around a corner on a low tank of fuel the motor looses power and wants to die.I think that I'm not getting fuel. the fuel pump is set the way it should be, in side the tank. The pump has a filter on the bottom. I think that if I add line to the filter so it will go side to side it will stop the problem. Anyone have any idears.
Thanks;
Maurice

Hi Maurice. I also have an '82 and I experienced the same problem during the first several years of my 23 year ownership. In an '82 the fuel pump is located pretty high and it has a nylon screen attached to the bottom of it. The problem is the nylon screen doesn't touch the bottom of the tank and there are no baffles in the tank. So whenever the fuel level gets lower than 1/4 the fuel sloshes to the sides of the tank when the car goes around corners and starves the fuel pump. I forever cured my problem by mounting an in-line Hypertech fuel pump on the aluminum cross member right behind the tank and then fabricated a new pick-up (a 3/8" diameter fuel line hose) that goes all the way to the bottom of the tank. To protect the Hypertech pump I added a 6-micron Caterpillar fuel filter (also mounted on the aluminum cross member) in between the Hypertech and the pick-up. As my new pick-up extends all the way to the bottom of the tank I never have any fuel starvation problems any more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts