Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered a fuel leak yesterday. Winter helped me!! Had a fuel smell that would come and go last year on the 78. Fired it up after sitting un run for about a month (sitting on jack stands to do some rear end parts replacing), and instantly got the gas smell. Shut it down, popped the hood and was just about knocked over by the smell of gas. Got the flashlight and turned off the electric lights. Couldn't see much from the top, so shined the ligh underneath and could see fuel dripping from the fuel pump. Went back to the topside and saw that the fuel pump was wet at the crimped on metal bottom cover. Wipped it down and then turned the engine over and checked again. Fuel was comming out of the crimped on bottom, but on the side that was closest to the engine where the mounting bracket meets the pump. No wonder I couldn't find it during the summer. Block heat and wind from fan was evaporating it. It would not leak just sitting there.

Joking, I wonder how big of a fireball or trail of flames I would have had if I had taken it out for a ride ???

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discovered a fuel leak yesterday. Winter helped me!! Had a fuel smell that would come and go last year on the 78. Fired it up after sitting un run for about a month (sitting on jack stands to do some rear end parts replacing), and instantly got the gas smell. Shut it down, popped the hood and was just about knocked over by the smell of gas. Got the flashlight and turned off the electric lights. Couldn't see much from the top, so shined the ligh underneath and could see fuel dripping from the fuel pump. Went back to the topside and saw that the fuel pump was wet at the crimped on metal bottom cover. Wipped it down and then turned the engine over and checked again. Fuel was comming out of the crimped on bottom, but on the side that was closest to the engine where the mounting bracket meets the pump. No wonder I couldn't find it during the summer. Block heat and wind from fan was evaporating it. It would not leak just sitting there.

Joking, I wonder how big of a fireball or trail of flames I would have had if I had taken it out for a ride ???

It probably wouldn't have caught fire unless you were under a full-throttle condition and had your exhaust manifolds/pipes cherry red. I'm just glad you found the problem now while it's sitting in your garage rather than 500 miles from home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts