Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a new Q-Jet on my '77 soon. I'd like to do something to clean the fuel line out beforehand. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on fuel adds/cleaners or anything else they use for fuel and carb systems preventitive maintenance.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I know the C5 Guys like the Techron Plus and Seafoam. Also, BG44k is an option but very expensive at $24.00 a can.

I personally like the Techron Plus.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I swear by BG but have ever paid that much.....

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Fuel Additives

I can't see any reason why a C3 would need a fuel additive as there's nothing in their system that could get plugged up. Besides that all of the brands of gasoline today have cleaners already in them. I've been driving ever since 1964 and never needed a fuel additive yet.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I can't see any reason why a C3 would need a fuel additive as there's nothing in their system that could get plugged up. Besides that all of the brands of gasoline today have cleaners already in them. I've been driving ever since 1964 and never needed a fuel additive yet.
I gotta agree.....

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I use it because I use the car once a week (try to) since the car got dirty and rebuilt hope-ing the additive will keep the carb. clean ( only do it every 2 months tho)

I have an old 3/4 ton Chevrolet pickup that I use for a few hours every several MONTHS. Been using it like that for 14 years and I've never had a problem. Trust me, you don't need any fuel additives at all.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
there is an exception to that, tho.. a car that is stored for winters with ethanol blended fuel....ethanol absorbs moisture right out of the air, and moisture causes corrosion.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm putting a new Q-Jet on my '77 soon. I'd like to do something to clean the fuel line out beforehand. QUOTE]

spray carb. cleaner in the hose/s then blast compressed air (berfore puting the carb)...L
if theres any stuff it should blow out

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
bottom line.. any of the above mentioned additives wont do any harm, so any will do fine.. more importantly, put in a new inline filter ahead of carb..that will prevent future headaches from fuel at least.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
wouldn't something like Sta-Bil be better to prevent corrosion ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts