Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 coupe just started having trouble with the front end wandering. I hydroplaned the other night due to bald run flats which I have replaced with Nitto Nt555's. I thought the trouble was with the tires in the back being bald and the fronts were trying to hold the road. Since I got the new tires I noticed that at speeds over 70 the front end tries to travel from side to side or grabs every groove on the road and the steering wheel tries to come out of my hands. The front tires are Falken FK452's and are still in good shape. I don't see any separation of tread, cupping or knots on the tires. From what I could see everything on the front end is still attached and the bushings that I can see still look good. Any ideas?:1zhelp:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lets check the simple and easy stuff first. How is your air pressure on your front tires? If the pressure is OK jack up your car and check the ball joints tie rod and any other part that relates to your front end. ( by jacking the car up you take the stress off the joints and can see if there excess movement) My 03 will follow the groves in the road, that is common but not jerking the steering wheel out you hands. You can forgo the above if you take your car in for a alignment as they will check everything before alignment. Go to a top notch shop you will be glad you did.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
its called tramlining..all cars do it to some degree..wider tires increase it and run-flats are worse.. but if its pulling that hard, best to have an alignment shop check everything out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tire pressure is at 28 psi so the pressure is good. Tires are good and I understand that wider tires tend to follow the grooves. Had 265 50/15's on all 4 corners of my 78 Trans Am and it definitely followed the grooves. I was planning on carrying it in to a friends tire shop to have him look at the suspension since all of the joints look like they are still in good shape. Wife drove the car the other night and the problem started shortly after. She probably didn't slow down for our local railroad tracks.......

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4 Wheel alignment

Had a 4 wheel alignment done and it has helped but it still feels a little strange. Just not quite as tight as the steering should be on a Corvette.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They Might not Have The Specs To Set it By ?
Mechanic probably has the correct specs but he said that the left ball joint didn't look good but there wasn't any slack or play in it. I have taken it back to him to revisit the ball joint since I have heard the front end pop on the left side several times while turning at slow speeds when the car first starts moving in the morning.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New front tires

Put a set of Nitto NT555's on the back a few weeks ago. Went ahead and replaced the Falken's on the front with the NT555's and the problem is almost completely gone. 120mph there is still some issue that I need to have addressed. 80 - 85 smooth driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts