Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that I might have seen this on here before but I don't remember. Is it possible to swap out the rear small calipers for the fronts? If so what's involved. Any help would be great! Thanks........

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I agree with Don. Not a good idea...A lot of design and testing went into what it came with.. you can easily upgrade pads and rotors if you feel you need more stopping power, but really, what kind of driving are you doing to need that much braking? and once you get "super brakes" , are you gonna get " super tires" ? cause tires and the ABS will limit anything you do.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
maybe if you upgraded the fronts and had the calipers ?
I'd have to say there are easier options.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
You can run the front brake system on the rear very easily. In fact a whole Pro racing association has sanctioned that mod for our cars. You will increase your braking as well. Only thing you will loose is your parking brake as the inner drum for the brake is only in the rear drums... not the front. :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
quit stalking me

·
Registered
146 Posts
For a while I thought about installing the front brakes on the rear of the car. It came down to really wanting a better set of brakes because I was taking the car to the track. I finally went with a wilwood 6/4 setup for the front and rear.

This setup came with a rear E brake system built in. Although it did require buying two new sets of tires and wheels to run on the street and track. (front caliper swap to the rear of the car allows you can use the OE wheels)

SO after running this for several years I freshened it up as you can see in these pics here..

So this is what it looks like now...

They also work with the CCW track wheels and slicks I have.

This year I will buy a new 6/4 brembo setup. The brake system I have now will go up for sale.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
looks like it's time to enforce the last judgement someone skated on.....

NUMB NUTS MUST NEED BIG BRAKES SINCE HE LOST IT AND HIT A CURB SHOWING OFF.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to give it a try. I don't really care about park brake. Who uses that anyway. So I need to buy 2 sets of front rotors then. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Since the spindles are all the same , I'm guessing all you need is caliper mounts also

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to give it a try. I don't really care about park brake. Who uses that anyway. So I need to buy 2 sets of front rotors then. Thanks!!!!
If I remember correctly, the OE front caliper is a direct bolt on for the rear. Just be sure to install the bleeders pointing upward. :rockon6rk:

Screw the E-brake! You can always leave the car in gear when you park. :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
don't you have a curb to hit ?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I plan to go with a set of C6-Z06 brakes. Calipers run about $1000. Then choose pads and rotors. Some places sell the whole thing for $2k..

It's all direct bolt on....

·
Registered
146 Posts
I plan to go with a set of C6-Z06 brakes. Calipers run about $1000. Then choose pads and rotors. Some places sell the whole thing for $2k..

It's all direct bolt on....
Yes it is but it won't work with your OE C5 wheels without a BIG spacer.

To the OP, did you get your parts and hows it working out for you?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts