Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 1970 coupe with 350/350 and 4 speed. Need info, pics, of what the engine compartment should look like. It was late and sun was set, so did not get a good look through the engine compartment. I could really use some pics of what a stock 1970 small block engine compartment should look like, no AC or air pump, 48 state FED version.

I can not remember if it had the radiator overflow tank there, but everything else looked pretty normal. I will be going back with a pencile and paper, flashlight and my cell phone to take pictures to try and compare. The parts catalogs, unfortunately, lump too many years together to get a good idea of what I should look for.

I'll be taking it out for a romp latter on this week to check out the mechanics, he says they are all good with all the brakes just gone over and needed parts replaced.

Why do I always find these cars that need paint jobs ???

TKS!

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
the reason they all need paint jobs is because its about $4K-$8K to get one painted. depending on condition, location, type of job wanted, and the shop you choose.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fish and pete.

More info. Vette was parked under a carport attached to a garage with the rest of it exposed to the elements. Paint on the very front is aligator skined up to 1/3 of the way to the windshield and the rear is the same, 1/2 way up to the rear window. Current owner has had it for 6 years, parked that way and taken out for occasional drives. He had tried to "fix" the paint by getting some spray cans made up at the local paint and glass supply store to mach the color and then "repainted" the front and back over the aligator skin. He did not sand or prime, just wiped it down and let fly. It looks fugly!!!!! But the price is right. Had an appraiser go over the car today, will get his full report Wednesday at 1 PM, but preliminary verbal looks very good. I have an appointment to get the car up on a lift for inspection at 11 AM and a test drive after that.
Paint job and bumper rechrome are #s 1 and 2 on my list for the car as of right now. Hope everything comes out okay. I am working a deal with a paint shop for me to do the stripping of the car to the gell coat, body work if required and epoxy sealer on the body for only the cost of materials and they will do the rest from there with a 2 week turn around on the car. Actually, one guy (he's in his early 70s) is going to do all the rest of the work after the shop closes for the day. He has a photo album of the crashed vettes he worked on plus some custom jobs. Since the color is staying yellow, he pointed out some things that I wanted done that would not really show, like extra clear coats. We also talked about some pearl and or tined clear coat and he said he would work up some combinations for me to look at prior to stripping the front of the car (he said to start at the back and work forward as that would be the easiest for me to pick up skills I have lost over the last 20 + years to tackle the more complex angles required on the front). Anyway, this is going to be fun.
Wife is starting to get enthused (sp?) about this project and has gone down to the barn and figured out how we will be able to store our 3 vettes for the winter and still have access to the other play toys. She still doesn't like the idea of not having AC though!

The 78 crate motor project has been put on hold for $$ due to the pending purchase of another vette.

WARNING!!! Do not park 2 vettes too close to each other for an extende period of time, they multiply!!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
WARNING!!! Do not park 2 vettes too close to each other for an extende period of time, they multiply!!!
I heard of that
if you park a C3 and a C5 you get a little C4
and about the paint me too the front looks OK but the back is faded, but do plan to paint it DIY $1,000-1,500 and thats if i dont break nothing

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'm HOPING MY C4 AND MY C5 HAVE A LITTLE C6 OR POSSIBLY A C7.......

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paint job may change shops!!! I was going to sand some of the old paint off, but use a much finner grit, like 240 or a little finner and use rasor blades. Reason it might change shops is because the guy that did the appraisal for the bank recommended another guy that does vettes and custom paint jobs only. He is about 60 miles away, but was told it might be worth checking him out.

The appraisal on the 70 came in at $18,000 as is, matching numbers and colors. He said that if repainted in original yellow (clear coat okay) and I get the original bumpers rechromed, it would be worth over $30,000. He said he will do a new appraisal for free IF I repainted it original yellow and get the original bumpers rechromed. Glad the seller has not seen the appraisal, probably would jack the price up to the appraisal price ! :coffeetime:

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Corvette Central

I have been dealing ONLY with Corvette Central for the last few years because of their excellent catalog. Call 800-345-4122 and ask them to send you one.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'd stay as close to original as possible
good deal !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THANKS !!!

I plan on keeping it original and replace any parts it may need with originals if I can or replacement parts that are correct. Right now, all I can see is new bushings on rear spring and maybe a new spring. Once I get it home, Thursday PM, I'll check the angle of the half shafts and if they are not level, will replace the spring. Valve cover gaskets are on the list with the search starting for a possible spare carb. I'll take some of the pieces parts for the rear suspension bushings I had ordered for the 78, which is now up for sale, and use them on the 70. Replace the possible bad ujoint on the right rear. Heck, might just as well order a bushing kit and just do it right the first time. I will need front sway bar bushings too. Other than that, it's just paint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts