Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fog lights on with the headlight doors down? Possible?
I have read the online owners manual for my 2001 C5.

I am seemingly unable to turn on my foglights and parking lights without having the head doors go up. The headlights remain off-but the doors remain up. Is this normal?

I understand that the fog/parking lights shouldn't go on if the emergency brake is placed on first before starting the C5.And that this is normal.

And I understand that if the driver turns on the headlights and then turns on the parking lights-that the headlight doors will remain up and the headlights will be off. This is normal.

But I am unable to turn on the parking lights and the fogs without the doors going up-with the emergency brake off and not turning on the headlights first.

I would like to run with the fogs on and the headlight doors down if possible.

· Registered
5,591 Posts
my 99 will come on with the headlights off

· Registered
5,591 Posts
1/2 turn , yes

· Registered
3 Posts
Look in your options to see if the automatic dusk (I don't remember the right name) option is on. If so, turn it off and then try the parking lamp switch with the fog light switch on. Could be you need to turn that option off.

· Registered
5,591 Posts
FYI : I don't have the twilight function

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look in your options to see if the automatic dusk (I don't remember the right name) option is on. If so, turn it off and then try the parking lamp switch with the fog light switch on. Could be you need to turn that option off.
I thought that also-but when I turn off the Twilight Sentinel -nothing changes as regards to the headlight doors still coming up when just turning on the parking lights.

· Registered
779 Posts
Fog lights on with the headlight doors down? Possible?

I would like to run with the fogs on and the headlight doors down if possible.
That should happen if you turn on the parking lights (1/2 turn) and the press the fog lamp switch. The headlights should remain closed.

If it doesn't, it sounds like you have a wiring problem. You don't have any aftermarket headlights, do you (like HID)?

· Registered
5,591 Posts
I checked mine yesterday....I never really thought about in detail it before , I just did it......
and
Mine works as Gigity says

· Registered
5,591 Posts
or turn them 180
If you are familiar with the gears going bad here is a free fix that worked for me

I handcranked the headlight up
took off the 10mm nut holding the arm to the motor ( you gotta take the top cover and black side cover off )
hand cranked the motor until the shaft rotated 180 degrees
re-attached the arm
hand cranked the light back down
no vid , no pics , just good info here.....
Then hit the headlight switch....works good as new

WHY ?
the motor uses only 1/2 the
gear
so....you get 1 freebie fix.....

if it happens
again....brass gear time.....
worst case , it gets you by for awhile until you can repair it correctly

· Registered
5,591 Posts
Did you do it ?
Another satisfied customer ? :happy0045:

I've done a few of these.
Some just until they bought gears , some never touched the motor again.
Longest so far w/o doing anything further is 5 years....and some said it wouldn't work :smilielol5:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.