Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my fans turning on at the correct temp. bad wiring from a engine swop. its making the car run hot and over heat. I noticed i have a fog light switch on my dash with the wires coiled up under my hood with connectors on them. I was wonder is it safe to use the fog light switch and wires already in place to turn my fans on by just plugging the fog light connectors into the fans instead of installing a toggle switch and tapping in to the fan relay and all that jazz? Is the fog light switch and wires able to hold the load of the fans or will i fry and burn some thing up? I have no need for fog light i don't even have a spot for them on the front of my car. Thanks for your input guys.
The motor is L98 from a 89 vette.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
No, fans draw lots of current and you must use a relay that can handle the draw and wiring to match to turn them on and off. Otherwise, you run the risk of electrical fire.

You can use your existing fan relay by splicing into the signal wire(green/white stripe) running it to a two pole switch, with the other pole to ground, then when you throw the switch the ground contact will be made and your fan will turn on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help Slicktop. It looks like the previous owner has the two fans wires spliced together so they'll turn on at the same time at a very high temp (they're not suppose to turn on at the same time per gm) I traced a solid black wire and a black wire with a red stripe back through a harness then into the relay. the solid black wire is grounded to the frame of my car. Is that black and red wire my power wire to the fans? Should i splice a switch to that? I see a grean and white wire but it doesn't look like it goes to the fans. If i'm going to splice the black and red wire to a switch do i do it before the relay? Sorry for all the questions this is the first time i've had this problem.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
As a test take the green and white wire, splice into it with another wire and then touch it to ground and I think you will see that that turns on your fans. The green and white wire(s) are the signal wires and they go from the fan temp switch to the relay(s) and when the fan temp switch closes they go to ground which triggers the relay(s) and the fan(s) come on. Since you say that someone messed with the wiring you need to run this test and if it turns on the fan(s) then you can put a switch in as I already suggested.

Personally I would just buy a 200' fan switch kit ($40) and do it that way. Esy to do and then you will have an automatically controled fan. Pain in the butt to have to watch your temp all the time and turn the fan on and off manually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok got ya on why to use the green and white wire. it should work cause the fans do come on everytime at a high temp. Now should i cut the green and white wire just before it goes into the relay and splice it there?(of course leaving myself some length to work with) I just wanna make sure i cut and splice in the right spot so the relay will be used.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
That is where I did it. But do not cut the wire, just splice into it. You can easily burn off/melt the insulation on it with your soldering gun, and then solder your splice in............and then wrap it with electricians tape.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh sorry one other thing, when you say useing the other pole to ground do you mean to run a wire from the switch and screw it to the frame of the car like the other grounds, just wanna make sure i dont get nothing wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Slicktop the switch works and kept'er cool on my 40 mile drive to work this morning. Your insturctions were right on. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts