Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past four years, I have rebuilt or replaced every component in the power steering system on my 74. Something always starts to leak. This time I think I solved the issue! I took the entire system out. I changed the pitman arm, the relay rod and removed the pump and brackets. I moved the tie rods to the rear hole on the steering knuckle and had the steering aligned. What a difference! Steering is a little stiffer at low speed, about the same at cruise, but I can feel the road so much better. I am so glad I did this. Anyone else do this? Comments?

Vmo

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Over the past four years, I have rebuilt or replaced every component in the power steering system on my 74. Something always starts to leak. This time I think I solved the issue! I took the entire system out. I changed the pitman arm, the relay rod and removed the pump and brackets. I moved the tie rods to the rear hole on the steering knuckle and had the steering aligned. What a difference! Steering is a little stiffer at low speed, about the same at cruise, but I can feel the road so much better. I am so glad I did this. Anyone else do this? Comments?

Vmo

You did what you're supposed to do when you remove the power steering. As you no longer have power assist the tie rod ends are supposed to go in the rear holes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts