Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
5,591 Posts
yup......

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought mine was small @ 5 pounds. (Oh no, did I actually invite ensuing comments ?) :doh:
5lbs? that a lot sliding around back there during some SPIRITED DRIVIN!! . I had a 2lb in the storage compartment for years , it eventually lost its charge, so I bought a nice little Chrome 1LB and mounted it behind the seat.. I ve never needed one on the road, but better safe than sorry. Car fires in C3 s are usually confined to carb . most times a towel will extinguish it ,a 1 lb will easily put that out

· Registered
210 Posts
5lbs? Car fires in C3 s are usually confined to carb . most times a towel will extinguish it ,a 1 lb will easily put that out
Actually, you're projecting that everyone will only have a small carb fire, see it right away and have immediate access to an extinguisher, know how to use it and the fire goes right out. I have seen too many car fires to know that this is not the real world scenario. Vettes burn/melt very well and a fuel fed fire grows in seconds. Yes, a 1lb unit is better than nothing, but not much. Vettes don't have a front grill to shoot into to suppress the flames and popping the hood will feed the fire with oxygen.
So the extinguisher doesn't become a projectile in a crash ( 1,2 or 5lb), strap it down.

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you have let the fire progress to that point, no small extinguisher ,1,2, 5 lb won t be much help. I ve repaired many Fire Damaged Corvettes in my Shop back in the day., And, If the fire is fuel line fed, you won t put it out in time with anything but a Fire Truck!..a C3 will burn in just a few minutes . But, if the carb catches fire,which is the most common occurrence, you can easily extinguish it, if you get on it fast.. but to say, a 1 or 2 lb wont do much good so why bother, is foolhardy, in my opinion . .

· Registered
210 Posts
If you have let the fire progress to that point, no small extinguisher ,1,2, 5 lb won t be much help. I ve repaired many Fire Damaged Corvettes in my Shop back in the day., And, If the fire is fuel line fed, you won t put it out in time with anything but a Fire Truck!..a C3 will burn in just a few minutes . But, if the carb catches fire,which is the most common occurrence, you can easily extinguish it, if you get on it fast.. but to say, a 1 or 2 lb wont do much good so why bother, is foolhardy, in my opinion . .
You need to re-read my post, I never said a 2lb won't do much good. A 1lb is more of a false sense of security, with a 2lb, you have a better chance of putting it down. Somebody trying to put out a fire for the first and probably only time in their life will have a better chance of success with a larger unit. Once again, your projecting that there will only be a small carb fire and it can be put right out with a 1lb. First, you have to be aware of it to "get on it fast", nobody really lets a fire "progress to that point". You need to be more responsible when passing information on about a topic as important as fire safety, in my opinion.

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You need to re-read my post, I never said a 2lb won't do much good. A 1lb is more of a false sense of security, with a 2lb, you have a better chance of putting it down. Somebody trying to put out a fire for the first and probably only time in their life will have a better chance of success with a larger unit. Once again, your projecting that there will only be a small carb fire and it can be put right out with a 1lb. First, you have to be aware of it to "get on it fast", nobody really lets a fire "progress to that point". You need to be more responsible when passing information on about a topic as important as fire safety, in my opinion.
I need to be more responsible? seriously? Maybe you should RE-READ my original post.., I asked how many carry FE s.. not who thinks a small extinguisher is ineffective! Nor did I recommend ANY SIZE F.E. to ANYONE ..so where was I irresponsible? .I strongly advocate that any extinguisher is better than none, I can easily extinguish a carb fire with my 1 lb Halon ., which is twice as effective as CO2..and approved by the US Coast Guard for Marine use.. and all fires don t start at 70 mph. If you disagree, you are more than welcome to say so, but do not tell me I m being irresponsible by doing so.. Carrying nothing because you think its not big enough, and hoping for the best is whats IRRESPONSIBLE!

· Registered
210 Posts
I need to be more responsible? seriously? Maybe you should RE-READ my original post.., I asked how many carry FE s.. not who thinks a small extinguisher is ineffective! Nor did I recommend ANY SIZE F.E. to ANYONE ..so where was I irresponsible? .I strongly advocate that any extinguisher is better than none, I can easily extinguish a carb fire with my 1 lb Halon ., which is twice as effective as CO2..and approved by the US Coast Guard for Marine use.. and all fires don t start at 70 mph. If you disagree, you are more than welcome to say so, but do not tell me I m being irresponsible by doing so.. Carrying nothing because you think its not big enough, and hoping for the best is whats IRRESPONSIBLE!
As I stated in my post #10, "Yes, a 1lb unit is better than nothing" How is this advocating that people carry nothing? If you have the wherewithal to use an extinguisher and you choice not to, that may be considered somewhat irresponsible. As far as you inferring that I am advocating that people carry nothing, that is just plain obnoxious.

Halon is incredibly effective, but not in a wind situation like a burning car in a parking lot vs. a garage. I can't compare that to the CO2 because the Halon was all I had at the time.

Once again, a cute chrome 1lb unit is nice for getting points at the shows, but I also carry a larger one for the real show if it happens. Yes, fire scares the heck out of me and I like to carry a decent size extinguisher.

Thanks for your permission to disagree with you, but I really don't need it. Enough of this and you, I have a living room to finish painting. :DeadHorse:

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
As I stated in my post #10, "Yes, a 1lb unit is better than nothing" How is this advocating that people carry nothing? If you have the wherewithal to use an extinguisher and you choice not to, that may be considered somewhat irresponsible. As far as you inferring that I am advocating that people carry nothing, that is just plain obnoxious.

Halon is incredibly effective, but not in a wind situation like a burning car in a parking lot vs. a garage. I can't compare that to the CO2 because the Halon was all I had at the time.

Once again, a cute chrome 1lb unit is nice for getting points at the shows, but I also carry a larger one for the real show if it happens. Yes, fire scares the heck out of me and I like to carry a decent size extinguisher.

Thanks for your permission to disagree with you, but I really don't need it. Enough of this and you, I have a living room to finish painting. :DeadHorse:
You seem to have a reading comprehension problem.. I neither advocated nor recommended you or anyone else carry what I do at any time. I simply asked ... WHO CARRIES A FIRE EXTINGUISHER.. I need no lecture from you on what your Expert Opinion is as to size or cuteness of said extinguisher! ..And as to telling me bolting it down so as to not become a projectile, AGAIN, read where I said It Is Mounted Behind the SEAT! Also, .I was assured by the Manufacturer that a 1lb Halon , tho more expensive, is more effective than a 2lb dry chemical, and leaves no residue to have to clean up ,should you need to use it. ..but, By all means, go paint your room..be sure to bring your "BIG" fire extinguisher, paint is flammable you know! and perhaps slow down on the beer? :wtf: :z1-2:

· Registered
5,591 Posts
all I know is if I carry one I probably won't need it

I have used mine on other folks cars though.....

· Registered
910 Posts
Funny you say that. I've always had one with me in any of my cars from very early on. My Dad was a NYC fireman and he instilled that kind of "fear" in my brothers and me when we were starting to drive. He suggested an extinguisher that can do the job. He saw enough car fires in his career. My brothers and I have never had a car fire of our own but I have helped extinguish more than one, and my younger brother was actually awarded a "Mayor's Award" for helping save a family stuck in a burning car- the car fire was too far gone, but he tried, and did get the family to safety.

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
all I know is if I carry one I probably won't need it

as is the case with most things! I once had a fire break out on a boat. Electrical short started a fire around fuel tank ! It was a split second decision, try to put it out OR BALE OUT !!! ...would have been about a 4 mile swim though, and I m not as young as I used to be. ! I did manage to put it out with a Dry Chemical extinguisher .. Got towed back to shore .Since then, I carry one in every vehicle .. have never needed one again

· Registered
210 Posts
be sure to bring your "BIG" fire extinguisher, paint is flammable you know! and perhaps slow down on the beer? :wtf: :z1-2:
Some people on this forum may view you as some type of Vette expert. Since you listed a 1lb extinguisher as what you carry, some may mistakenly see you as a fire expert also and believe a 1lb is all they need.

What water based paint do you buy that's flammable? I'll leave the beer to you, you certainly seem to be the expert there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.