Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two year old FelPro one piece big block pan gasket suddenly began leaking from the front "U". On a 500 mile trip it leaked two QUARTS of oil that ended up coating the entire underside of my '71. Rather than buying another FelPro gasket I bought a Moroso gasket with the hope it'll do a better (longer) job of sealing. Before I install it I'll lay it onto my pan and see how much the front "U" sticks up above the pan. I might have to solder a strip of .032" sheet metal on the front "U" to apply more pressure against the gasket.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Leaking Oil Pan Gasket

I'm going to jerk my oil pan off this afternoon and see why its gasket is leaking so bad at the front "U" only. Maybe the silicon gasket in that spot just isn't quite thick enough to provide a good seal.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Contacted FelPro And............

They never contacted me like I was hoping they would. As my one piece gasket literally fell apart after just two years they certainly know it's happening to other one piece big block gaskets. When I went to install it I discovered the front left 1/4" hole was off by about 3/16" so I had to egg-shape the hole that much. The new Milodon gasket was a perfect fit so I had no trouble installing it.

After reading about the FelPro gaskets on the internet I found many engine building shops have quit using them because of fitment and leakage problems. So FelPro is well aware of their shortcomings and hopefully they're doing something to correct those problems.

If you have a big block I recommend you do NOT use the one piece FelPro oil pan gasket until they re-engineer them.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
Its hard to beat the old cork 4 piece pan gaskets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts