Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Own a 87....are there 2 fan relays? Or just the one that's attached to the left side of the internal body right near the battery? And if I replace the one relay and my fan still dosent kick on...what else could it be?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
...are there 2 fan relays?
Main fan relay and another relay IF you have the Aux fan option

And if I replace the one relay and my fan still dosent kick on...what else could it be?
Have you hotwired the fan to see if it actually works before chasing other problems?
Have you got power to the relay on red wire
Have you got power to relay on blue? wire when key on.
Is fan fuse good?
Lottsa possibilities

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Main fan relay and another relay IF you have the Aux fan option
I know the fan is electric but for some reason theres only 2.5 V goin to the fan....which leads me to believe it's either one of the relays or a wire problem....but I still have to hot-wire the fan to make sure it's good

Have you hotwired the fan to see if it actually works before chasing other problems?
-haven't yet but will do in the next day or so...thanks for the fast replies bro u the man!

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Own a 87....are there 2 fan relays? Or just the one that's attached to the left side of the internal body right near the battery? And if I replace the one relay and my fan still dosent kick on...what else could it be?

My '82 has a fan switch screwed into the right-side cylinder head just in front of (and above) the #8 spark plug and I've read the earlier C4's had that switch also.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If you are only reading 2.5 Volts at the fan connection then you have a high resistance connection somewhere in the wiring. You need to start at the power feed for the fan and check the voltages thru each device (relay, connectors, etc) until you get to the fan. It could be a bad ground too. :bump2:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
My '82 has a fan switch screwed into the right-side cylinder head
I've read the earlier C4's had that switch also.
:doh:
Why do keep putting up irrelevant info about your C3 in the C4 section?

And not paying attention in class.
I have posted the C4 fan control differences many times; especially to you ( even with pictures so it is EASIER for you to understand )

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvetteforum/showpost.php?p=606950&postcount=5

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvetteforum/showpost.php?p=606949&postcount=4

Only '84 has mech switch setup you mention. OP states he has a '87

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
As his car is now nearing 25 years old and likely has had several owners it wouldn't hurt to look for a switch in the right-side cylinder head. As that switch worked so well in the earlier models it's very possible someone has put one into his '87.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
it wouldn't hurt to look for a switch in the right-side cylinder head. .
Once again referring to your engine.
On a '87 switch would be in Drv side head because Pass side unit is gauge sender unit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts