Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that sometimes when my car is warm and after the car has been turned off and turned back on, the car will crank over a good 10 seconds before firing up. I wasn't getting any codes and would like to figure out what is the cause of this.

Any suggestions?

What are some reasons why a car would crank over but have a delayed start? **Mind you this only happens when the car is warm.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Battery perhaps?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
It seems that sometimes when my car is warm and after the car has been turned off and turned back on, the car will crank over a good 10 seconds before firing up. I wasn't getting any codes and would like to figure out what is the cause of this.

Any suggestions?

What are some reasons why a car would crank over but have a delayed start? **Mind you this only happens when the car is warm.
I recently had this condition on my 1998 Intrepid; hard to start when engine is warm. It started out taking 10 seconds or so to start and kept getting longer and longer. It turned out to be a weak fuel pump. It could also be your fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

Any suggestions?

My 07 is bad for that, to prevent it hit your start button if it is a 6 speed don't push the clutch in and it will prime the pump then it will start as soon as you try it, if it is a automatic I assume don't have your foot on the brake and it will prime the pump. Works well :thumbsup:

·
Agent, Supporting Vendor/Tuner
4,612 Posts
Quickest way to find out is to put a fuel pressure gauge on the car. It should have and hold 58 PSI fuel pressure. To check, press and hold the starter button down in the accessory position for 5 seconds or so. If fuel pressure drops more than 10 PSI in 5 minutes either the check valve in the tank is failing or the pump is failing.

Either way GM sells the fuel pump and it's assembly as a "module". But you *can* get individual parts for it.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an '07 C6 with 12K miles. I get an extended crank time problem about twice per year for the last 2 years. A small bottle of concentrated fuel system cleaner has cleared up the problem every time within 2 days! Top tier 93 octane Shell. No codes. No smoke on startup. Idles smooth and runs strong. Great mileage. Anyone else experience this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 06 Z06 has a delayed start hot or cold intermittently. Runs fine once it starts, 19.6 MPG average; no skips or misfires; incredible acceleration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 05 auto and face this problem. In my case I am in AZ so not a lot of cold to contend with but in the last few months I have had the intermittent problem of a delay of 3-4 seconds to get the car to start. I have installed a fuel pressure gauge and when this happens the gauge shows that fuel pressure is around 60 PSI and as the car is cranking fluctuates between 55 and 60 which I take to mean the injectors are working (as each injector fires the pressure takes a small dip). I have checked the connections in the fuse/relay box and replaced the fuel pump relay. I am thinking it is a spark problem since I know there is compression. Once it starts it is fine and I have not seen any pattern allowing to know when it happens.

This started a few months ago just before I started the big job of installing a cam and new lifters which intales lots of disassembly work. I would love to hear from others with this problem and how they solved it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts