Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week I talked to a transmission shop who said they would rebuild my 79"s transmission for $750 bucks and that would include torque converter and everything. I was wondering if this a good deal? Anyway, today found a transmission out of a 95" vette on craigslist for only $500 bucks and started wondering if I could possibly use that? I have a rebuilt 350 l48 engine that came from another 79" corvette that is going to go into the car, so I'm trying to find a good transmission to go along with it. Is it possible to use a 95" transmission with a 79" engine? if not, then what's the highest year transmission you could use for a 79" engine?

I've heard a c4 transmissions get way better mpg and power than my stock 79" transmission so if I could do this I would save myself $250 bucks and be better off on the road. any help/advice will be appreciated. thanks in advanced!

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
the $750 price for rebuild quoted is good... the trans in the 95 is electronic controlled 4L60E trans with Overdrive...it won t work without electronics to make it shift , you can use an earlier version, 700r4 [82-93] which has overdrive and does not need electronics but, it does require several modifcations to driveshaft, crossmember, shifter , park brake etc....if cost is your primary concern, get yours rebuilt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts