Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 327 manual is emiting grey smoke at idle and espeacilly when I get on it. I fear I may have some bad rings which means a major repair job. I see in eg Jegs that after market engines are available but I am unsure that any of the small blocks that are sold can just be swapped in without difficuly of things not lining up eg. motor mounts, connection to the bell housing etc. Anyone have experience replacing their old motor with an update one?

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
My 68 327 manual is emiting grey smoke at idle and espeacilly when I get on it. I fear I may have some bad rings which means a major repair job. I see in eg Jegs that after market engines are available but I am unsure that any of the small blocks that are sold can just be swapped in without difficuly of things not lining up eg. motor mounts, connection to the bell housing etc. Anyone have experience replacing their old motor with an update one?
Any 1st generation small block will fit as well as 396's, 427's, and 454's..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I pull the engine out of my 68 can I leave the manual transmission in the car or does that have to come out with the engine?

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
When I pull the engine out of my 68 can I leave the manual transmission in the car or does that have to come out with the engine?
You can do it either way but if you leave the transmission attached you'll have to leave the rear yoke in the transmission to avoid all of the fluid leaking out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would like to leave the transmission in. any problems lining things up with the transmission when reinstalling?

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
Have a compression check done first. Could need a valve job on the heads

1 - 12 of 12 Posts