Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering - Emission laws are regulated from the federal government right? So why are some states more forgiving on emission standards then others? I understand much of this might have to do with population, but really should that make a difference?

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Just wondering - Emission laws are regulated from the federal government right? So why are some states more forgiving on emission standards then others? I understand much of this might have to do with population, but really should that make a difference?

I think the federal government can set minimum emission standards for cars to be legally sold in this country, but then individual states can impose even stricter standards. Like California has always done.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
It has more to do with population density and CO emissions :vomitbuddy:

Exactly. The federal government sets the initial emission standards for cars to be legally sold in this country, then the individual states take it from there. Here in California the cutoff point for no smog checks is 1973. Then anything made from 1974 on up is subject to bi-annual smog checks. And then the individual counties have their own smog rules based on population density. As I happen to live about 10 miles east of a certain road in Fresno county, my '82 only has to be inspected to be sure I have my smog equipment still on it. But no "sniffer" test is ever done. So because of where in California I live, I could run a wild camshaft and still be legal.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think the federal government can set minimum emission standards for cars to be legally sold in this country, but then individual states can impose even stricter standards. Like California has always done.
I never really looked to deep into emission laws but this rings a bell, I think you are on the dot with this one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts