Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there installed an electric headlight door kit in a c3(if so what brand and how much,where did you get em? I found one from RetroElectric and they are about a grand. My stock system works ,slow like everyones,but workable,just sorting out my next project and liked the idea.a little expensive since mine are Ok. I know some guys have made their own but I am not interested in that.
Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
540 Posts
for roughly half that you could buy the fixed light conversion ( look at my avatar, thats the ones ) and NEVER have headlight issues again. there are even nice plexiglass covers available. ( although that pushes the total price close to the $1000 you talked about for the electric conversion... ) then you could sell all your stock stuff on ebay and make back ( hopefully ) some of the cost....:pigsfly:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone out there installed an electric headlight door kit in a c3(if so what brand and how much,where did you get em? I found one from RetroElectric and they are about a grand. My stock system works ,slow like everyones,but workable,just sorting out my next project and liked the idea.a little expensive since mine are Ok. I know some guys have made their own but I am not interested in that.
Any help would be appreciated
I have used the Ford Probe/Mazda Miata Headlight motors. I actually have made up several brackets to do the conversion. Then all you need is some hardware stuff- Home Depot / Lowes. It's really simple & straight forward- as there are no external micro switches/sensors or controllers. It can easily be done for a little over $100.

Richard

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting... Looks good ...how about a little more info on how you did it?
Took off the vacuum canisters- bolted on the motor to some brackets I made up- originally a galvanized deck post piece (from Home Depot) that I cut up. Used some threaded rod 5/16-18 same size that's on the actuator to the clevis pin. Drilled the arm on the motor to match the throw of the headlight doors (2½") so the arm was 1 1/4". Connected the threaded rod to the arm w/ a heim joint. That's it!!!

Since the Probe/Miata motor has built in contacts w/ two trigger wires- the motor turns 180º stops (headlights up) and then hit the other trigger wire motors goes 180º (back down).

Can tap off the headlights or the dimmer switch to control the motor.

Cost?
Brackets ( I have them in stainless and steel) about $50
Motors - $20 each at a upullit junk yard- and a little more off eBay
Hardware- bolts/threaded rod/heim joint $10-15
Relay- standard automotive- $5-10

Can't post images yet -since I don't have enough posts.

However - on my build website stingrayv12 dot com I have all the info there.

Richard

Since I can post videos- here's another shot-

And here's another mod I did using the Probe/Miata motor- for my back up lights- since I got rid of the stock back-ups-

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
very interesting indeed.... I see you are in Atlanta. I lived there from 88 to 2000.. Norcross/Lilburn area.. Welcome to SVF.. If you want to post pics, just do several one word posts , like HELLO! ...til you get to 10 .

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
nice stuff on the v12 stingray......

·
Registered
15 Posts
very interesting indeed.... I see you are in Atlanta. I lived there from 88 to 2000.. Norcross/Lilburn area.. Welcome to SVF..
I've lived here basically all my life-moved here from Virginia- just outside of DC when I was a kid. Lived in Alpharetta late 80's (ex wife got that house!) and moved to Brookhaven area in the 90's- which is where I currently reside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi can you share how it is done?
I have used the Ford Probe/Mazda Miata Headlight motors. I actually have made up several brackets to do the conversion. Then all you need is some hardware stuff- Home Depot / Lowes. It's really simple & straight forward- as there are no external micro switches/sensors or controllers. It can easily be done for a little over $100.

Richard

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi can you share how it is done?

Richard

[/QUOTE]
Shoot me an email richard454 at comcast dot net I'll be glad to send over a PDF I have put together on a "DIY How to"

Richard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts