Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
In California all we have ever had is 87, 89, or 91 octane. So why is 93 octane available in all of the gulf states?
I think it has to do with Density Altitude. Don't treat this as gospel, but if you visit states with higher altitude, you'll find regular gas as low as 85 Octane. The altitude (and consequently the density of air is less) makes engines less prone to detonation, which is the whole point of higher octane. Every tuner, tunes for that moments DA. I imagine that it has a lot more to do with that than anything else, but I'd be happy to blame the state of California just out of general spite. LOL.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it has to do with Density Altitude. Don't treat this as gospel, but if you visit states with higher altitude, you'll find regular gas as low as 85 Octane. The altitude (and consequently the density of air is less) makes engines less prone to detonation, which is the whole point of higher octane. Every tuner, tunes for that moments DA. I imagine that it has a lot more to do with that than anything else, but I'd be happy to blame the state of California just out of general spite. LOL.
Much of California's gasoline comes from Long Beach which has an altitude of about 52 feet. Not very high.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts