Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the helpful website vetteoz sent and did all the things recommended to correct my dim dashlights: (1) Re-soldered the large connector, large capacitor, large resistors, etc. on circuit boards, (2) ran a new ground wire as recommended by Bill Blake on one circuit board, (3) cleaned ground wires terminals at left rear of engine [no success] (4) ran new ground wire from the two connectors [3 ground leads] and connected to radio ground wire, (5) cleaned and re-assembled the instrument panel. My dashlights are still dim except when I turn on headlights at night. ANY NEW RECOMMENDATION?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm not an expert, but if you've exhausted every option, and it sounds like you have, you should consider a new unit. Unfortunately I cannot think of any other ways to get your dash working again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone on another forum told me someone could have replace the backlights with wrong bulb. He said #882 should be used, but the site vetteoz recommended said use #891. Do you know which bulb is correct for a 1984?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I found this article,interesting When the 1984 Corvette was released, its digital dashboard was revolutionary. For the first time, information was delivered electronically and not by analog gauges or tell tale lights. For the most part, the digital dash has proven to be very reliable over the years, however the cluster can fail for various reasons. The main problems are poor grounds, corrosion on terminals and burnt-out bulbs. Since the LCD cluster was first introduced, it has been regarded as an Exchange-Only (No Repair) item by the dealer. This article will cover the three most common failures that you can repair yourself. Why pay $300.00 or more to have someone change a bulb or clean the terminals?

Changeable Parts And Cluster Repairs
Items that can be changed by the owner or dealer
• One or all four halogen 882 light bulbs on the 1984-88 are changeable by the owner. The 1989 cluster has Xenon bulbs,
which are replaceable with 7073 Stanley bulbs (not soldered in). The dealers do not have this bulb. I know of only two sources for them.
• Service exchange clusters at GM dealerships. This requires the odometer be removed from the defective cluster, then reinstalled in the exchanged cluster
• The odometer motor is changeable by the owner.
• Directional and high beam indicator lens and # 74 bulbs.
• Odometer motor lens.
• Photo sensor lens.
• Bulb heat sinks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know where I can buy the speedometer and tachometer LED's for my '84? I replaced the bulbs with brighter #891 bulbs and still have dim speedometer and tach. After resoldering some circuit board components and running new ground wires, my other gauges at top center of cluster are bright enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts