Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got the 82 four months ago (Wow! Has it been that long already?)
it stumbled, backfired now & then & I immediately thought with the car at almost 69K miles (took it out a couple of weeks ago & it turned 69K) & sitting still since '97 the TB's may need a rebuild.

That long story outta the way, nope.
Today in Massachusetts it was a "balmy" 51 so I decided to do a tune up, 1st one I've done in many, many years.

I bought 8 NGK's & an Accell cap/rotor kit & the previous owner gave me new wires with the sale.

MAN-O-MAN!
I think the car is all its life had never had the plugs, cap/rotor or wires replaced!
The plugs were rusty as hell, 2 of the wires were broken in the boot at the plug & the both sides had the wires still run through the shields
(gotta figure out how to get them out & put the replacements in the right spot).

By looking at the cap & rotor I'm surprised the car even fired up!
The Delco wire retainer was still on the distributor, which in my past experience usually gets tossed at the 1st wire change.

After all was said & done, went to fire it over, nothing.

Since it's been so long that I've done a tune up on a "conventional" ignition car, I forgot to plug back in the power & tach wires to the cap!

I plugged them in, it fired right up, idles a whole heluva lot better, took it out & you guessed it, smooth acceleration, no stumble, backfire
or misses at idle.

I did not have a chance to check timing, I'm glad I never sold my trusty timing light when I started having newer distributor less vehicles!

Sorry for the long post, but spring fever is getting near & working on this car is pretty much what I'm looking forward to do & make it one
sweet riding 29 yr. old car!

Still deciding on what wheels to put on (I don't like the stockers) & the car goes in my pals shop for new paint next month!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
nothing better than doing your own work !

·
Registered
523 Posts
not to mention the cash you dont spend.
That's the best part- save the cash for something that needs it- like wheels!!
Be sure and read the emissions sticker to set the timing- the ECM takes care of all the advance, but the initial has to be correct or the ECM will go stupid trying to get it where it wants it.
The Cease-Fire (Cross-Fire) really likes to have a vacuum leak around the top half of the intake manifold too- keep an eye out for that. But since yours is running good, it's fine right now, just something to watch for later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts