Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cross fire which runs very good and I have no reason to remove it other than I would like to eek a little extra power out of my vette. Does a good running cross fire have more potential than a high rise intake and carb?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
With "claimed" good results. Personally I'd buy a Renegade and put a better cam in it.
Really, and what facts do you have that the Renegade is better?

If you read the OP's question he'd rather not get rid of his intake and is looking to "eek" a little more power out of his engine. So your best advise is to go out and spend $500? :crazy:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Really, and what facts do you have that the Renegade is better?

If you read the OP's question he'd rather not get rid of his intake and is looking to "eek" a little more power out of his engine. So your best advise is to go out and spend $500? :crazy:
I don't mean to be a ****** but you should reread the OP's post. Tobroketoretire is right when he offered the option of a renegade intake manifold. You will still require the removal of the stock intake manifold to port it and reinstall. And you are right slso about the $500 for the renegade intake manifold. I would think the OP's post wants information on other setups if he is
thinking on installing a high rise and a carb.

Slicktop came up with the best post, I quite enjoyed reading that magazine article and I hope to have the quid by summer to buy the NOS kit. 11.8 seconds is very impressive. In the article it was written that the intake is completely stock with no porting. I would think with porting or a renegade intake manifold you would see even better results.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I don't mean to be a ****** but you should reread the OP's post. Tobroketoretire is right when he offered the option of a renegade intake manifold. You will still require the removal of the stock intake manifold to port it and reinstall. And you are right slso about the $500 for the renegade intake manifold. I would think the OP's post wants information on other setups if he is
thinking on installing a high rise and a carb.

Slicktop came up with the best post, I quite enjoyed reading that magazine article and I hope to have the quid by summer to buy the NOS kit. 11.8 seconds is very impressive. In the article it was written that the intake is completely stock with no porting. I would think with porting or a renegade intake manifold you would see even better results.
Exactly! You will have to remove the intake regardless of which way you go. The only difference with my scenerio is it will cost next to nothing to port your intake, and $500 to buy the other. Which would you rather do? If you do some research on the '84 crossfire you would know that they come from the factory with a restrictive intake that can be easily ported. Just trying to help the OP out with some honest info, in the end it's his decision.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Exactly! You will have to remove the intake regardless of which way you go. The only difference with my scenerio is it will cost next to nothing to port your intake, and $500 to buy the other. Which would you rather do? If you do some research on the '84 crossfire you would know that they come from the factory with a restrictive intake that can be easily ported. Just trying to help the OP out with some honest info, in the end it's his decision.
I have a stock crossfire over the pond in England and I am in the same boat as the OP. I have thought about porting the intake but have read that you will lose power in the lower rpm range. I have contacted the company that makes the renegade intake manifold and they said there is a waiting list to get one. From my years of experience anything you have to wait for is always worth it. I waited inline for the the ride "expidition to Everest" in Disneyworld. It was well worth the 90 minute wait. So now I am on the fence with porting the stock intake or just ordering a renegade intake manifold. I have not read any negative comments on the new renegade intake manifold but have read more than a few on porting the stock intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
OP's orginal question was

Does a good running cross fire have more potential than a high rise intake and carb?

Please keep to that topic as this is NOT a Regenade thread
I along with many others have gotten sick of that topic. Notice the tech section lately?

Anymore bullshit about the Renegade and I'm closing it!!!! Renegade threads will also be deleted from hear on out.
Ok, I'm done

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have a cross fire which runs very good and I have no reason to remove it other than I would like to eek a little extra power out of my vette. Does a good running cross fire have more potential than a high rise intake and carb?
IMO a modern EFI system, for a street car is vastly superior to any carburated system. Better gas mileage, warmup cycle, and overall running, period.

Also, to put a carb on would garantee smog check failure and require mods thruout the car to work properly.:pigsfly:

For more power read my first post on this thread.::thumbsup3:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Does a good running cross fire have more potential than a high rise intake and carb? the short answer for power is no. I loved my crossfire car when i had it but if you are looking at just power a carb set up will out run it. The crossfire is just to restrictive even ported to outperform a good carb setup. Now things to consider are you will need a new hood to clear the high rise and carb and cleaner ect, need a mount for the tv cable on the trans (mine was a 700r4 not sure for the nash)and a fuel regulator and their may be more. Other things to consider with a carb more than likely you will get worse gas mileage and it will be harder to start when its cold ect ect.
now before i get killed by the crossfire guys saying how wrong i am all i will say is find one N/A crossfire that runs 10sec down the 1/4 thier are tons of N/A 350 ci sb that runs 10's

again i loved the my 84 and it was a great car and the guy that owns it loves it just as much if not more and i decided to keep it crossfire and port it and i had an holly carb and intake and my vette had a 2 3/4" cowl hood but i staid carb why because it was not just a race car and i loved the way it ran and going fast isn't all that matters

·
Registered
408 Posts
OP's orginal question was

Does a good running cross fire have more potential than a high rise intake and carb?

Please keep to that topic as this is NOT a Regenade thread
I along with many others have gotten sick of that topic. Notice the tech section lately?

Anymore bullshit about the Renegade and I'm closing it!!!! Renegade threads will also be deleted from hear on out.
Ok, I'm done
WOW ! ! Well....ok.....I guess with a tush like THAT you can talk to people like that then. :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the link to the article. I am going to try porting the intake and see what happens. The cat was gone when I bought it so a high flow Cat is out of the question. Is there a vendor that sells a NOS kit for a 84? I have looked for a long time and not found one.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks for the link to the article. I am going to try porting the intake and see what happens. The cat was gone when I bought it so a high flow Cat is out of the question. Is there a vendor that sells a NOS kit for a 84? I have looked for a long time and not found one.
There you go. Get yourself a set of intake gaskets(you'll need them anyway)to use as a template, as soon as you take the intake off and look at the runners you'll see why people port them.

You can also google "porting a 1984 crossfire manifold" and read up on how many people have done this and the best way to go about it. Let us know how you make out. :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
307 Posts
the nos kit has been discontinued you have to build you own ma be this will help
pics of the nos kit

and get one of these for porting i will make it much easier

1 - 18 of 18 Posts