Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I have replaced my power window switches on a regular basis because they were all overseas junk. In my early days of C3 ownership I bought all of my aftermarket parts from Mid America but quickly discovered everything they sold was garbage. Later I discovered Corvette Central only sold the best reproduction parts as they paid close attention to the complaints made by their customers. Now days Mid America MIGHT be selling better parts but because of my bad experiences with their products 30 years ago I never bought from them again.

My advice to you is take your new switches apart before installing them. Inside you'll find a black plastic "rocker" that pushes the contacts together. By placing a 1/16" to 3/32" thick piece of neoprene between the plastic rocker and the contacts it'll help them make better contact. By grinding the chrome plating off the inside ends of the housing you can use epoxy to hold the assembly together. You can "speed cure" the epoxy by placing the assembly near a source of moderate 125 to 150 degree heat that will cure the epoxy in about an hour.

·
Super Moderator
5,945 Posts
Started buying most of my parts from Corvette America until a few years back they either got bought out or merged with some other distributor. Their website got horribly confusing. So I also went to Corvette Central for most of my needs. Yes I have had to replace window switches once. Don't really use them a lot because of owning a convert.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Started buying most of my parts from Corvette America until a few years back they either got bought out or merged with some other distributor. Their website got horribly confusing. So I also went to Corvette Central for most of my needs. Yes I have had to replace window switches once. Don't really use them a lot because of owning a convert.
The last time I bought new power window switches I bought them from an E-Bay vendor. I immediately tore them apart to see how well they were made and found they were garbage. I found they would only make contact at their extreme movement so I slipped a rectangular piece of 3/32" neoprene between the plastic rocker and the point arms. After the modification they'll work with very little movement. They're all Chinese/Taiwan garbage; even the "HELP" switches found at NAPA and other stores. I'd like to see how the OEM switches were made.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts