Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my vette, it is having trouble starting and staying idle. I have to give it a little gas to start it and to keep it running? My voltage guage is also reading about 1 v low when this is happening?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I am having a problem with my vette,
Year model and more info would help.
Cold or hot start?
With voltage low does it crank at proper speed?
You can't "give it gas" like a carby engine ; by holding the throttle open you are giving it more air

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Year model and more info would help.
Cold or hot start?
With voltage low does it crank at proper speed?
You can't "give it gas" like a carby engine ; by holding the throttle open you are giving it more air
I agree... a few more details would help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am having a problem with my vette, it is having trouble starting and staying idle. I have to give it a little gas to start it and to keep it running? My voltage guage is also reading about 1 v low when this is happening?
Once it is up an running does the voltage bump up too?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running Issues

I have a 92 Corvette. 5.7 liter LT1 The voltage is normal while driving down the road. The only problem is when I first start it up. It will sometimes not idle well. It seems to happen more when it is cold out too. After driving it a bit though there is no problem. So is it just a weather issue?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 92 Corvette. 5.7 liter LT1 The voltage is normal while driving down the road. The only problem is when I first start it up. It will sometimes not idle well. It seems to happen more when it is cold out too. After driving it a bit though there is no problem. So is it just a weather issue?
Could just be the weather, if it smooths out after a few minutes of running.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Could be a number of things. 1 possibility would be a vacuum leak. Intake manifold, EGR or even a cracked vacuum hose. If you don't have access to a smoke machine, you can use a flammable brake clean, but be careful since a bad plug wire could ignite the brake clean, spray around the intake & hoses with the engine running. If the engine smooths out, look into that area & try to pin point it there & once that area is fixed, spray it down again to confirm the fix.Could also be something the computer has learned since it seems to be happening in open loop. You could pull the negative cable & touch the cable end you pull off of the battery to the positive post (that discharges the capacitors & clears the memory) and put the computer into base values while it relearns. There are many more issues that can cause these problems but these are a good place to start. Good luck.

Toby

·
Registered
492 Posts
The 1st diagnostic tool a corvette (w/ efi) owner should have is a fuel pressure gauge. Check pressure while running, & make sure it holds pressure when engine is off. This tells you the condition of the f. pump, & if loosing pressure, what to check next, like the regulator or injector(s) that are leaking down.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The 1st diagnostic tool a corvette (w/ efi) owner should have is a fuel pressure gauge. Check pressure while running, & make sure it holds pressure when engine is off. This tells you the condition of the f. pump, & if loosing pressure, what to check next, like the regulator or injector(s) that are leaking down.
One of the first things I got! lol with my efi C4! Good call!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had the same problem on my 93 it got hard to start when cold. Fired right up when hot. I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, checked resistance on my fuel injectors turned out to be my fuel regulator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts