Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a new E-Z on Top put on my 2000 vert and was not happy with the install. That will be another thread if the company will stand behind thier workmanship. But I have a question for the ones that have convertibles. Right behind the seat on both drivers side and passenger side, the post going up, can you take your hand and go between the top and head liner 6" to 8" from the deck and see if there is a point of a sheet metal scew, approximately 1/4 inch, sticking out. My assumption is no. I went thru the break-in proccess for the top and when I was at Carlisle last week at a Corvette show my wife and I decided to put the top down Friday evening, when I put it up we found puncture holes on both sides. If you can help it would be great. I hope I had explained it good enough for you to understand. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's a bit hard getting my hand in there, but I didn't feel any sharp points from screws or anything else.

I assume you are talking about the area between the headliner and the convertible top mechanism, but up the side.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a bit hard getting my hand in there, but I didn't feel any sharp points from screws or anything else.

I assume you are talking about the area between the headliner and the convertible top mechanism, but up the side.
Yes. If your standing out side the car facing the rear and you run your left hand just inside the top at the fiberglass deck. You fill the frame and where the screw is about 8"up from there going up towards the top of the roof. I know this hard to explain. But I think they did a poor job and will be taking the car back to them next Friday.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I folded up my top a bit to get better access.
There is a plastic guard piece that is in the way of getting my hand in from the side when the top is in position.
The bar with the velcro all wrapped around it is the bar that sits vertical.
The second picture is my camera kind of stuck inside looking up.
I don't see of feel anything in there that could be sharp.
In the second picture you can see the screw that attaches the end of the bar with the rest of the mechanism. I can sort of feel the threads of that bolt, but it's obviously not pointy.

Hopefully these pictures help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I folded up my top a bit to get better access.
There is a plastic guard piece that is in the way of getting my hand in from the side when the top is in position.
The bar with the velcro all wrapped around it is the bar that sits vertical.
The second picture is my camera kind of stuck inside looking up.
I don't see of feel anything in there that could be sharp.
In the second picture you can see the screw that attaches the end of the bar with the rest of the mechanism. I can sort of feel the threads of that bolt, but it's obviously not pointy.

Hopefully these pictures help.
Thanks for taking your time to look for me. I will be taking the car back on Friday to see what they will do. I wil keep you posted. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, what did the installer do for you? I had a top put on my 99 in April 2013 and the first time it went down it came back up with 2 puncture holes just behind the drivers window. OEM screws punctured the top - just like you said the screws were too long and extended outside the post puncturing the top. My installer put a new top on at no charge and ground the tips of the screws off and wrapped the area in velcro just as extra insurance. I have pics of it on the other corvette forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts