Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that the 2000 Vette has the computer software underneath the battery and if the battery leaks this
can cause a problem, which makes sense. I was told starting with the year 2001 the vettes don't have this
issue because the setup is different in the engine compartment.

I am considering vettes out of state since I can't seem to find anything similar near where I live. I will have to
have it transported to my home town. I do not work on cars nor have anyone in my life that does, so I am
concerned that I don't make a wrong decision on selecting a vette.

If any of you have any information regarding a particular year in the early 2000s that I should steer clear
of or any other advise for me please feel free to post a comment. I will be using it as a weekend car, and also
to particpate in car club events every now and then. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve been shopping for a corvette and done a lot of research. I’ve learned it’s important to use a sealed gel batter such as an Optima so they won’t leak on to the computer electronics underneath.
1997-2020 are said to use an ABS traction control computer that is no longer available and can’t be repaired. The 2001-2004 use a different unit that is easier to work on. You’ll often see the earlier models at lower prices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The ECM/PCM connection is right under the battery, so the first thing I did when I bought my 2003 home last month was put a Optima red top 75/25. I did this to my last C5, but some things to keep in mind, the the EBCM on 1997 to 2000 cars is not repairable, and there are no replacements other than a module from a wrecking yard. AS a rule, covering a lot of generation cars, the later in a platform lifespan, most have had the 'Bugs' worked out ! Other than the somewhat painful EBCM issue, any Corvette is a car that if some care was exerted, it's going to be a very happy purchase.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts