Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a '99 coupe with a manual trans. I brought the car to the dealer on a trailer a little less than 2 years ago (june 2009) for the all too common "service column lock" and some warranty work under my extended warranty. The column never locked, but i had the pull key and service column lock messages and the fuel was cutting off at the 1.5-2 mph mark. The invoice claims they replaced the shorted relay with relay and harness part #19244028 harness k. Long story short, i have a fully charged battery with tight connections, a pull key for 10sec message, then the service column lock message, and again i cant accelerate past 1.5-2 mph. The car will also shut down if the wheel is turned to the locks either direction (the column is not locked) I have access to GM Service Information and found the car has been repaired on more than one occasion for this issue. I'm wondering if the aftermarket bypass will solve the problem. I was not able to find a real answer with my symptoms and i hate the thought of the dealer! I'm an ASE certified mechanic and the ONLY reason i let anybody touch my car besides me is because i had the warranty and wanted to save some money. Since that didnt work, and they charged me for it anyway (warranty wouldnt cover it) just to have the issue again less than 2 years later, i WILL fix this MYSELF this time. If the bypass will remove the message and get me running again, who has the most reliable unit?I've heard most use the thunder racing or the corvettes of houston unit. Any Suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Tim

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
I have had a bypass harness i bought from ebay for three years now with no issues. I have had the " pull key for 10 sec. message " It was from the chip in my key being dirty and not making good contact with the lock cylinder. You can also try disconnecting the battery for 1 min. and reconectting it. Sometimes that will reset the VATS

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I took mine in on a recall and thought the fixed the SCL issue,about a week later it locked up on me and I had to have it towed,thank goodness my family has a roll back,well took it back to the dealer and they worked on it again and tried to charge me,after my lawyer contacted them they released my car. These people doing these repairs sometimes take the factories money for a repair and never do it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, they don't call them the "stealership" for nothing! I just want to know if the bypass will work in this case ...and which one is the most reliable. Regardless, I'm probably going to order a bypass module, I just am unsure which one i want to purchase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts