Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Sunday morning, I depressed my clutch to start my Vette and the clutch pedal stayed stuck to the floor. The engine sounded normal at start-up, and there were no unusual blips on the D.I.C. Realizing something was wrong, I immediately shut off the car. I tapped on the clutch pedal, but it did not budge. I attempted to start the car again, and it sounded horrible, so I immediately shut it off again; My car is a 2003 coupe, with 72,600 miles on her. Obviously, it seems like my clutch is toast, but just wondering if there could be any other possible causes to the clutch pedal sticking. The unusual thing, is that I wasn't having any difficulty shifting the car into any gear before this happened. I took the car for a spin the previous evening, and it drove like a dream; guess I should be glad that I was able to make it home, and not get towed-in. The ironic and funny thing, "Little Red Corvette" by Prince was actually playing on the radio when this was happening; life does like to mock us from time-to-time. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

·
Smokin Vendor
612 Posts
I just googled your symtoms and could be the slave cylinderService VME - Clutch Pedal Does Not Return When Depressed #PI00206 - (07/11/2002)

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

SERVICE VME
This is a service VME regarding 1997 through 2002 Corvettes. We have had several complaints of the clutch pedal not returning when depressed. If air gets into the hydraulic clutch system, the clutch pedal may not return when depressed. This may occur at low speeds, when stopped or possibly during high RPM shifts. One source of this condition may be the clutch slave cylinder. If the clutch pressure plate was not evenly torqued to the flywheel it may have been distorted. This could result in the clutch release fingers being uneven causing the clutch slave cylinder to wobble. This wobble will eventually damage the internal seal and the slave cylinder allowing air to enter the system. If this situation is present the recommended repair is to replace both the clutch slave and clutch master cylinders. A visual inspection of the pressure plate release fingers for wobble, which would appear similar to a bent wheel, should be performed when servicing the slave cylinder. If the release fingers are found to have this condition, it will also be necessary to replace the clutch assembly. Evenly torquing the pressure plate to the flywheel is necessary to prevent this condition.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
This past Sunday morning, I depressed my clutch to start my Vette and the clutch pedal stayed stuck to the floor. The engine sounded normal at start-up, and there were no unusual blips on the D.I.C. Realizing something was wrong, I immediately shut off the car. I tapped on the clutch pedal, but it did not budge. I attempted to start the car again, and it sounded horrible, so I immediately shut it off again; My car is a 2003 coupe, with 72,600 miles on her. Obviously, it seems like my clutch is toast, but just wondering if there could be any other possible causes to the clutch pedal sticking. The unusual thing, is that I wasn't having any difficulty shifting the car into any gear before this happened. I took the car for a spin the previous evening, and it drove like a dream; guess I should be glad that I was able to make it home, and not get towed-in. The ironic and funny thing, "Little Red Corvette" by Prince was actually playing on the radio when this was happening; life does like to mock us from time-to-time. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
It's not the clutch it the master or slave - the system that disengages the clutch.

So, the question is: Is the clutch disengaging?
when was the last time you changed the fluid?

Do a google search for "corvette c5 clutch stuck pedal" and you'll find a lot of info...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions Vette USA, C5inSB, and Last C5. Of course CorvetteDon, you always bring great input to the discussion! I checked the clutch fluid reservoir, and it was bone dry. I haven't changed the fluid since I purchased the car back in March 2010. The internet searches offered some additional possible causes for the clutch pedal to stick, to include air in the lines. I will add fluid, bleed the line, and hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks all again for the information, that's what makes this forum so great!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Air in the line seemed to be the cause for my clutch pedal sticking in the down position. I added the DOT 3 fluid in the reservoir, manually pushed-in and pulled-up the clutch while the engine was off. I then started the car, and continued to pump the clutch pedal to get the remaining air out of the lines; the clutch pedal returned to the normal position each time. I took the car for a quick spin, and it's shifting better than it did in the past. Thanks all for your input! This site rocks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts