Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I always get a receipt
THIS doesn't this clear it ?

weird......sounds like an urban legend though.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tis balderdash and nonsense... That hoax email has been circulating for a couple years.

With the verbage in the OP's entry being identical to that in the hoax email, I suspect it has more to do with cut-n-paste, and less to do with the OP's actual friend or said friends coworker.

The gas pump will conclude the transaction when the nozzle is returned to its cradle.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I THOUGHT IT SOUNDED LIKE BS

anything that starts out as a "friend of a friend" .....

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also thought it sounded a little familiar until I also spoke to a couple of gas station attendants who told me that the pumps do clear, but your card information is in the system until another card is entered. If you have any doubts, go inside after you fill up and tell them that the pump did not give you a receipt...you will see that the attendant can issue you a receipt even after you have finished pumping your gas and reset the nozzle. That's because your purchase information is still in the system. Either way, it's your call... I'd rather be safe and push that 'CLEAR' button when I'm done than see which attendant is
right or wrong on this topic... "Rico"

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I also thought it sounded a little familiar until I also spoke to a couple of gas station attendants who told me that the pumps do clear, but your card information is in the system until another card is entered. If you have any doubts, go inside after you fill up and tell them that the pump did not give you a receipt...you will see that the attendant can issue you a receipt even after you have finished pumping your gas and reset the nozzle. That's because your purchase information is still in the system. Either way, it's your call... I'd rather be safe and push that 'CLEAR' button when I'm done than see which attendant is
right or wrong on this topic... "Rico"
If the attendants are so smart that they know more about the machines than the people who make them, why are they working as attendants? The card information has to be in the system to transmit the details to the credit card company and it must be retained in the system as a record of the transaction for historical purposes. The only way the attendant could charge another transaction against a card number would be to enter it in the system again and, by Federal Law neither the system nor the receipt is allowed to display more than the last 5 digits of the credit or debit card number.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the attendants are so smart that they know more about the machines than the people who make them, why are they working as attendants? The card information has to be in the system to transmit the details to the credit card company and it must be retained in the system as a record of the transaction for historical purposes. The only way the attendant could charge another transaction against a card number would be to enter it in the system again and, by Federal Law neither the system nor the receipt is allowed to display more than the last 5 digits of the credit or debit card number.
I definitely agree 100% with what you're saying. That's the way it should be, but is it? 5 out of 6 times the pumps at the Mobil stations I go to don't issue me a receipt and I have to go inside for one. Their excuse is always, "It just ran out of paper" or "The dispenser isn't working". Is it true? Who knows...or is there more to it than meets the eye? All I know for a fact is that they have the ability to print out a receipt way after you have reset the nozzle. That's the reason this email from my buddy warning me about this possible scam was so intriguing. Anyway, time will tell I guess...lol. Stay safe... "Rico"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have worked as a Petro Field Technician. I can promise you that the tale as told in 100% BS.
There have been RARE cases of crooks putting skimmers on the readers, just as they do at atms, but again it is rare, and noticible if you pay attention at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts