Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there is fore and aft movement at the ourboard end of my clutch linkage cross-shaft on my '72 4 speed. The nut on the ball shaft is not tight but the lock washer prevents the nut from turning. I guess the ball shaft turned over time in the nut. What is the best way to re-tighten or replace the ball shaft and nut? I have found diagrams on this structure but no instructions on how to do it properly.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I noticed there is fore and aft movement at the ourboard end of my clutch linkage cross-shaft on my '72 4 speed. The nut on the ball shaft is not tight but the lock washer prevents the nut from turning. I guess the ball shaft turned over time in the nut. What is the best way to re-tighten or replace the ball shaft and nut? I have found diagrams on this structure but no instructions on how to do it properly.
I just removed mine to pull the motor and will look at it later today to see if I can comment.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts

The nut SHOULD tighten. Mine does and my cross shaft is tight; no foreword/aft movement.

·
Registered
879 Posts
There is some play at the nut (now that it is out) as it is on a ball at the end of the shaft but it was tight when installed. I can't see anything else x to say that maybe where the ball at the nut seats is worn on yours? You may need to replace the cross shaft assembly.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Glad to have you here! :burnout:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts