Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
you fill from the low side, rear near fender,if it is low that means you have a leak somewhere, are you converting to r134? if so charge with a can of oil dye then check for the leak, probaly the compressor seal or condenser, once you fix leak you have to vaccum the system with a pump for a/c and gauges then charge and add a can of pag oil with dye tracer

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you fill from the low side, rear near fender,if it is low that means you have a leak somewhere, are you converting to r134? if so charge with a can of oil dye then check for the leak, probaly the compressor seal or condenser, once you fix leak you have to vaccum the system with a pump for a/c and gauges then charge and add a can of pag oil with dye tracer
Yes i have the evac pump but for some reason the fitting for the freon only fit the high side.

·
Registered
132 Posts
did you use the conversion kit for r134? that car you have is r12 thats why it wont fit,you can get a conversion kit at local parts stores, it pretty easy to do

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I agree with CW, can t use r134 in an r12 system unless you empty, flush and re-evac.. if you ve done that and your hose doesn t fit , you need the adapter kit.. charge from low pressure side only... 35-45 psi on low side. don t forget the oil ...did you replace the oriface tube before evac?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i know it's r12 my friend is into ac and most of the fittings are the same until you convert to 134. but the fitting on the vette seems smaller than your usally earler gm cars on a 12r system

·
Registered
523 Posts
careful here guys- the hi side fitting is smaller than the low side. Be sure you don't try to charge thru the hi side port.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I think he has a gauge set like mine, the hose connector does not fit without the adapter. both gauge hoses are same size..they are 40 years old,tho.. wow, did I just date myself?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts