Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at dealership this morning and was talking to one of their service reps and he was saying that even just changing the thermostat will void out warranty on these cars? Really??

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
yes.Technically,anything you change from what GM set it to at the factory is subject to warranty denial.Why would it be different?? They warranty their work,not yours.A 160 degree stat changes all kinds of stuff in there since you also need to tune the car to work with that stat.They aren't overlooking this stuff like they used to,they're to broke to screw around.

·
Registered
77 Posts
"They aren't overlooking this stuff like they used to,they're to broke to screw around. "

I've heard this too, they are not letting as much slide on by these days. :(

·
Registered
918 Posts
I was at dealership this morning and was talking to one of their service reps and he was saying that even just changing the thermostat will void out warranty on these cars? Really??

That Service Writer was an idiot. They can't void your warranty for changing the thermostat. That is the same as saying "I will void your warranty if you go to ABC Auto Repair and they replace your thermostat", which is then a monopoly issue and gets really ugly.

What they can do is not cover damage to a component caused as a direct relation to the installation of an aftermarket performace part. Example - turn the wick up on your supercharger to 40psi and blow the intake to pieces = not warranty. Another example; replace a leaking thermostat with an aftermarket direct replacement part from napa or whomever and later there is a problem with the BCM = covered. But if you over torque the thermostat and crack the housing, housing not warranty. I hope this makes sens as I ramble on here, but I hate seeing dealerships say these types of things, they really just make us all look bad.

If you really want to argue it out with your dealership, I can get the GMSPO Service Policy & Proceedures Manual in a PDF format :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
654 Posts
That Service Writer was an idiot. They can't void your warranty for changing the thermostat. That is the same as saying "I will void your warranty if you go to ABC Auto Repair and they replace your thermostat", which is then a monopoly issue and gets really ugly.

What they can do is not cover damage to a component caused as a direct relation to the installation of an aftermarket performace part. Example - turn the wick up on your supercharger to 40psi and blow the intake to pieces = not warranty. Another example; replace a leaking thermostat with an aftermarket direct replacement part from napa or whomever and later there is a problem with the BCM = covered. But if you over torque the thermostat and crack the housing, housing not warranty. I hope this makes sens as I ramble on here, but I hate seeing dealerships say these types of things, they really just make us all look bad.

If you really want to argue it out with your dealership, I can get the GMSPO Service Policy & Proceedures Manual in a PDF format :thumbsup3:

LOL Now really tell us what you think! I'm thinking the service tech might have been talking about putting a different degree thermostat in the car like a 160 degree thermostat as example.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Same degree should not be an issue providing the thermostat didn't cause the engine to blow up or something. Different degree can be an issue since GM can come up with some reason to not cover it due to low temp.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Same degree should not be an issue providing the thermostat didn't cause the engine to blow up or something. Different degree can be an issue since GM can come up with some reason to not cover it due to low temp.
Even that is a stretch.

Sorry for running on about that LOL, I hear things like this every day all day, honestly, I fired a service adviser about a month ago for telling a customer he would void his warranty on something similar. We get enough bad press without inserting our own foot in our mouth.

OK I'm done LMAO :coffeetime:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Even that is a stretch.

Sorry for running on about that LOL, I hear things like this every day all day, honestly, I fired a service adviser about a month ago for telling a customer he would void his warranty on something similar. We get enough bad press without inserting our own foot in our mouth.

OK I'm done LMAO :coffeetime:
It just woudn't surprise me though. Some dealers do give dealers a bad name. I had a service manager tell me that my brake problem on my Impala could be due to non OEM (but Chevy) wheels and that in order for them to troubleshoot the car right they will need the original set of tires/wheels. Well as it turns out my brake issue was due to them resurfacing the rotors twice already and they wanted another $300 to resurface them again or over $700 to replace the front rotors and pads.

·
Registered
918 Posts
:doh:
It just woudn't surprise me though. Some dealers do give dealers a bad name. I had a service manager tell me that my brake problem on my Impala could be due to non OEM (but Chevy) wheels and that in order for them to troubleshoot the car right they will need the original set of tires/wheels. Well as it turns out my brake issue was due to them resurfacing the rotors twice already and they wanted another $300 to resurface them again or over $700 to replace the front rotors and pads.

·
Registered
43 Posts
if the engine run at a lower temp that means that the engine is not in emission compliant and that is a federal problem for GM because they certify that the emission part of the warranty is for 7 years or 80,000 miles

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts

:goodpost::yoda:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts