Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about removing the Cross fire and replacing it with a carb or Tuned Port Inj. Would removing the croos fire inj on my 82 Collector diminish the value?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
not if you save the parts so you ca return it to stock if you sell it

also , who buys an 82 for resale value?

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Making QA CrossFire Run

agree, and it will make more power .. the crossfire is an anchor after 4000 rpm.. it was designed for a 305 cu. in. motor.

So was the Tuned Port Injection. The plan at the time was to discontinue the 350" engines in the passenger cars. The increased power of the TPI came from the serpentine belt and the more precise fuel metering. But the power still fell off abruptly after 4000 rpm because of the very small runner diameters and the weak 202/206 camshaft. The Crossfires will run great if they have a Renegade intake installed and better breathing heads. And the '82 Corvettes only came with 2.87 rear ends. My '82 came alive when I changed it over to 3.54's. Then shortly after I made the gear change I put a set of Dart heads on it, a longer duration high lift roller cam, and a Renegade intake. Now it produces well over 300 horsepower and runs like it should have run.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Thinking about removing the Cross fire and replacing it with a carb or Tuned Port Inj. Would removing the croos fire inj on my 82 Collector diminish the value?

Rather than changing over to a TPI I'd suggest you buy a Renegade from DCS in Arizona. Once installed it looks identical to the old Crossfire but it'll breathe all the way to 6000 rpm (providing you have enough camshaft and free-flowing heads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ill tell you what, if you wanna do the TPI thing, hit me up. iv got a tpi intake thats been ported(altho theres not much room for porting in those), and powder coated black with new injectors. i think the only thing TPI has going for it is the looks. it just looks mean sitting on the motor. youll have AMAZING low end torque with it, but will deffinatly suffer after 3,500.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Mr., You sound like you might know allot about cars. I'm just a novice that's been following Corvettes since I was a kid. But it seems to me that the first and last year of a body style. Along with any special features, such as the 78 Indy pace car, 82 Collectors Edition, 63 & 67 Stingray etc. or built in limited numbers. Have a much greater chance of holding their value or increasing in value. Who would have thought that a 1953 which sold for under $2000. or a 67 which sold for around $4000. would bring what they are selling for today? I'm sure you know more about this than I do. Frank

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
No one can say what a car might be worth some day,but,an 82 collector edition is not even in the same universe as a 67.. I ve seen 67 cpes go at auction for as much as $165,000 . even one that is in reasonable shape will bring over $65,000...you can buy 82 s for less than $10, 000 all day long. and as suggested, he can keep the parts to restore if a "purist" wants to buy it. there are very few C3 s worth big bucks. An L-88 car, sure, a ZL1 absolutely! but the rest , no really

·
Registered
217 Posts
the last cease fire unit i saw had those awful half port heads. you can't do a thing with them, the tpi was good to 5000 rpm slightly more with bigger tube runners or a lingenfelter super ram. whatever, the heads are garbage

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
the last cease fire unit i saw had those awful half port heads. you can't do a thing with them, the tpi was good to 5000 rpm slightly more with bigger tube runners or a lingenfelter super ram. whatever, the heads are garbage

The heads aren't the restriction as they're the same heads that were used in the years before. The CrossFire manifold is the problem as it's ports are only 2/3rds of full size. A $460 Renegade from DCS will cure the problem as it has full sized runners. I got the 7th one made and I love it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts