Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many people have changed their camber up?

Now by adding negative camber the tires will have more rubber touching the pavement in turns but will have the inside touching more during normal driving. How much negative camber would be in the middle?

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
I was wondering how many people have changed their camber up?

Now by adding negative camber the tires will have more rubber touching the pavement in turns but will have the inside touching more during normal driving. How much negative camber would be in the middle?
Front Individual Camber °
OEM Preferred -0.45
Tolerance 0.6
OEM Minimum -1.05
OEM Maximum 0.15
Moderate -1.5
Aggressive -2
My settings -1

I added .55* negative camber to my coilover setup from the OEM. It works well for me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Front Individual Camber °
OEM Preferred -0.45
Tolerance 0.6
OEM Minimum -1.05
OEM Maximum 0.15
Moderate -1.5
Aggressive -2
My settings -1

I added .55* negative camber to my coilover setup from the OEM. It works well for me.

I think the -1 is good advice. I have actually heard this before that -2 is pretty aggressive setting for camber.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
That will allow the car to handle better, but won't that shave off the inside edge of tire much quicker?
Perhaps quicker, but I don't think "Much" is the right descriptor. My tires still look good on the inside. You have to decide what you want. If you are looking for maximum tire life, then make the camber near 0*

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Being totally uninformed on this issue, ?wouldn't tires pressure and tire width also be factors on how well it handled and how fast it wore. ?Do you run less pressure than standard.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Being totally uninformed on this issue, ?wouldn't tires pressure and tire width also be factors on how well it handled and how fast it wore. ?Do you run less pressure than standard.
Tire width has little to do with how the tire wears. Pressures do. Too much pressure will wear the center and too little will wear the sides. Too much camber will wear the edge - +camber outside and -camber the inside. All these factors are part of tire wear - and that includes how hard you drive and how abrasive the roads are that you drive on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tire width has little to do with how the tire wears. Pressures do. Too much pressure will wear the center and too little will wear the sides. Too much camber will wear the edge - +camber outside and -camber the inside. All these factors are part of tire wear - and that includes how hard you drive and how abrasive the roads are that you drive on.
While width may have little to do with how tires wear from a purely utopian technical perspective. In the real world wider tires do wear more uneven because they are more wear sensative to pressure changes at the center of the tire. A 285 will not see nearly the vertical thread flex from 30PSi -> 35PSi as a 345. Simply because the thread is significantly wider. Kind of like bending a 12" ruler as compared to a yard stick with equal pressure. Given a -2PSi change, a wider tire will wear the inner and outer edges more because the center is in less contact due to a more pronounced vertical tread flex than a narrower tire.

I agree 100% that properly inflated, in theory, width has little to do with wear. Unfortunately, unless you are all over the pressure of a 345 daily, increasing negative camber on a wide tire will eat it up in "real world normal" driving. In fact, a 345/25-20 can range 5-7PSi easy from sitting in the garage on a cold day like today until heated up. Conversely, the tires on my wifes SRX range only 2-3 and are far narrower. It is important to note that her tires are W speed rated (260 wear ) where as mine are Y speed rates (220 wear).

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
While width may have little to do with how tires wear from a purely utopian technical perspective. In the real world wider tires do wear more uneven because they are more wear sensative to pressure changes at the center of the tire. A 285 will not see nearly the vertical thread flex from 30PSi -> 35PSi as a 345. Simply because the thread is significantly wider. Kind of like bending a 12" ruler as compared to a yard stick with equal pressure. Given a -2PSi change, a wider tire will wear the inner and outer edges more because the center is in less contact due to a more pronounced vertical tread flex than a narrower tire.

I agree 100% that properly inflated, in theory, width has little to do with wear. Unfortunately, unless you are all over the pressure of a 345 daily, increasing negative camber on a wide tire will eat it up in "real world normal" driving. In fact, a 345/25-20 can range 5-7PSi easy from sitting in the garage on a cold day like today until heated up. Conversely, the tires on my wifes SRX range only 2-3 and are far narrower. It is important to note that her tires are W speed rated (260 wear ) where as mine are Y speed rates (220 wear).
I think we just basically said the same thing - I just used fewer words ;) The more negative camber, the more you will chew up the innner edge but with -1* I have not seen a wear problem on mine - though I am sure that it will wear a bit quicker than if I had it set at -.45* (factory setting).:burnout::givemebeer.sml:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks I had mine changed. Now I'm at -1, those that have done this have you noticed any major differene with tires wearing on the insides? The alignment guy was making it sound like my tires will be bad within a short period of time?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts