Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cell phone numbers go public this month which means telemarketers will start calling you. To block your cell phone number call: 888-382-1222

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
spam settings on emails need to be changed

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cell Phone Numbers Go Public

I called the number and it all seemed very official. And of course I provided them with all of my banking information including passwords and my social security number. So I should be good to go.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
good thinking !....lol

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Ok, now I m confused.. we got telemarketing calls on one cell phone just 3 weeks ago... I called Verizon Wireless to ask why my number was given to telemarketers..they said it is being sold between companies... they credited the minutes of the calls [5 in one day] on my bill, and told me to call the Do Not Call Registry, and gave me a 800 number. We called it, they said after 31 days, if we got another call, to report it to them. We have not gotten a single one since.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
that is a different issue actually

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
how so? It sure stopped the telemarketing calls ..
public #'s vs #'s procured from vendor's websites which are bought and sold
it's possible that inadvertently you gave out the OK for some to call you
Google the issue , it's all there
I can't type well enough to get all long-winded......

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
makes sense..but I ve never even heard of the caller company, and 2 of the calls were in Spanish! Oh well, They aint calling no more! thats all I wanted.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
read the information at the link provided in post #2.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I did read it.. it says that regulatons block the bulk, but not all telemarketing calls..and we were certainly getting them on one but not both cell phones..after listing that cell number with the registry recomended by Verizon Wireless to me, the telemarketing calls stopped completely.. So the story is not completely bogus, the registry does stop calls if you are getting any. thats not to say everybody is.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The "Do Not Call" Registry

I began getting several telemarketing calls every day since April 1st. I called that 800 number on April 5th and I haven't received one telemarketer call since.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I keep getting a call on my cell phone oce a day. It comes up as "unknown" and when I answer it no one says anything and it's just blank so I hang up and don't get another call untill the next day or 2 weird.
I've just stopped pick up. but its anoying because I can't turn it in because there is no number to turn in.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I began getting several telemarketing calls every day since April 1st. I called that 800 number on April 5th and I haven't received one telemarketer call since.
Coincidence! The registry does nothing more than put your telephone number on a list. Telemarketers, IF they subscribe to the list, are only required to check it every 31 days. If you TELL them to stop calling when they talk with you ("remove my number from your calling list and do not call me anymore") they are required by law to stop calling. Not all callers are considered to be "Telemarketers."

Charities and political organizations do not have to abide by the DO NOT CALL list.

If you have done business with a company they can continue to call you for up to 18 months.

Collection agencies do not have to abide by the DO NOT CALL list but they are covered by other procedures.

People/companies/telemarketers/scammers DO NOT have to know what YOUR telephone number is to make a call to you. They do not even have to know that it is you. There are devices that automatically place calls to random telephone numbers and then record those numbers as either active or inactive depending on what happens to the call. Those devices are programmed to recognize all of the telephone companies automatic announcements as well as what real people or answering machines sound like. If the answered call sounds "real," the called number gets recorded in the devices database for future use.

There are also places outside the jurisdiction of the Federal Trade Commission that unscrupulous people/companies can go thru that generate fake caller ID information.

The bottom line is that the information about cell phone numbers being released to telemarketers is BOGUS. The list that a company was working on that contained the numbers for cell phone users was a OPT-IN list and a number would only be put on that list if someone asked to be put on it.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
the regisrty and the "numbers going public" are unrelated

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
While it may be true that they are NOT releasing the numbers, I thank you for the "do not call" number anyway. I have received at least a dozen unwanted calls up to now. Mine is now registered on "Do not call". :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The "Do Not Call" Registry

While it may be true that they are NOT releasing the numbers, I thank you for the "do not call" number anyway. I have received at least a dozen unwanted calls up to now. Mine is now registered on "Do not call". :thumbsup3:

Up until April 1st I had never gotten a single telemarketing call. But April 1st I got three and I got three more the next day and the next day and the next day. I called that 800 number and I haven't gotten any more calls since. Maybe it IS just a coincidence but I feel better knowing I tried.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts