Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears I need to replace the intake manifold gasket on my 1980 Vette. Coolant leak from the top.
Since the car is 42 years old, it probably makes sense to look into replacing the original manifold since I have it off ... and it's the original (very tired) carb as well ... so I should look into a different one as well.

I'm pretty happy with the car running as-is in terms of performance, since it has the stock trans auto trans and rear end.

What options do I have?

I saw this at SUMMIT and I'm not sure if this is a decent option for me. I want this to be a straight forward replacement without a lot of customization to make it work.
Is there anything I need to be looking out for? I don't what to mess with clearance under the hood, so any new option has to fit with the air cleaner .. under the hood. I'd like to keep the standard air cleaner, but will swap it our for something else if that's the only option I have.

I'm guessing while I'm doing this and have everything off the top of the engine, i should replace the valve cover gaskets? I have no idea the last time they were replaced.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Please include links.

THANKS!

Automotive tire Font Engineering Auto part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
It appears I need to replace the intake manifold gasket on my 1980 Vette. Coolant leak from the top.
Since the car is 42 years old, it probably makes sense to look into replacing the original manifold since I have it off ... and it's the original (very tired) carb as well ... so I should look into a different one as well.

I'm pretty happy with the car running as-is in terms of performance, since it has the stock trans auto trans and rear end.

What options do I have?

I saw this at SUMMIT and I'm not sure if this is a decent option for me. I want this to be a straight forward replacement without a lot of customization to make it work.
Is there anything I need to be looking out for? I don't what to mess with clearance under the hood, so any new option has to fit with the air cleaner .. under the hood. I'd like to keep the standard air cleaner, but will swap it our for something else if that's the only option I have.

I'm guessing while I'm doing this and have everything off the top of the engine, i should replace the valve cover gaskets? I have no idea the last time they were replaced.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Please include links.

THANKS!

View attachment 35943
First of all welcome to our little forum.

Depending on which state you live in your '80 may or may not be smog testing exempt so bear that in mind before ordering any parts. Any time you make an intake manifold and carburetor change you run the risk of the hood not closing and if it's a different brand of carburetor the fuel line won't fit and the air cleaner base likely won't fit either because your fuel line and base were made specifically for a QuadraJet.

If your '80 is smog testing exempt you need to find out how tall your QuadraJet intake manifold is and you do that by setting the manifold back in place with the QuadraJet removed. Place a straight edge on the carburetor mount pad pad then measure the distance from the rear "China wall" to the bottom of the straight edge. Write that measurement down then compare that to the advertised 4.270" height of the #2021 Edelbrock manifold in the kit. If the two heights are within say 1/8" to 1/4" you probably won't have hood closing problems. You'll have to make a new fuel line and you'll probably have to do some dinging and denting of your air cleaner base to make it work. Plus you'll have to modify the throttle and kick-down cable brackets.

If your '80 does require emission testing the kit won't be legal because the manifold doesn't have a provision for the EGR valve and the carburetor doesn't have all of the necessary vacuum ports.

Where exactly is it leaking coolant? From one of the front or rear water ports? If so simply re-torquing the manifold's mounting bolts will likely stop the leak. The kit won't give you any more power than what you already have because more power would require a higher lift and longer duration camshaft as well as higher compression from either new cylinder heads with smaller combustion chambers or domed pistons.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts