Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are talking about having a family. I don't want to get rid of my Corvette, is there anything wrong with having a baby seat in the passenger side seat of a Corvette? Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I do it all the time and my son loves it. He's 4.5 yrs old now and uses a booster. It's got the latch seat anchors for a normal baby seat. I'm not sure I'd put a small child in with a rear facing seat, but front facing works fine when they are a little older.

Mine is an 05 so I have to turn the airbag off manually in the glove compartment. I believe the newer models have the weight sensor that will automatically turn the passenger bags off.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I believe the newer models have the weight sensor that will automatically turn the passenger bags off.
That's true of the 2008 :thumbsup:, not sure about earlier years.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't see why not, if you are driving responsible with the car.

·
Registered
879 Posts
aside from the leagel issues ,I dont know what they are for your area, I wouldnt think it would be safe to put a young child in the passenger seat of your corvette, I dont have any kids myself but Im quite sure should you have one you would love that child more then the vette but it dosent have to be a choice between the vette or the kid if you get a safe and inexpencive car I know that the subaru legacy is suposed to have one of the highest safty rating for the rear passengers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
aside from the leagel issues ,I dont know what they are for your area, I wouldnt think it would be safe to put a young child in the passenger seat of your corvette, I dont have any kids myself but Im quite sure should you have one you would love that child more then the vette but it dosent have to be a choice between the vette or the kid if you get a safe and inexpencive car I know that the subaru legacy is suposed to have one of the highest safty rating for the rear passengers.
Why not put an approved child seat in a vette? I have driven my child from when he was 6 months old in his approved child seat in my 08 vette. The air bag in a 08 is switched on/off automatically by the weight in the seat of the car so don’t even have to worry about that. The vette can out stop dam near anything on the road and out handle anything else. Now I don’t go flying around when he is in the car and I expect I drive a little more conservatively than normal but I do not worry for his safety. There are no legal issues other than the child has to be in a approved child seat and facing the correct way for his/her weight. My son is now a little over a year old and other than his eyes getting a little big when I first start up (Corsa sport) he does not react any different than when he is in my 4X4 pickup. Having said that I will have to say my wife was a little surprised when Hunter and I showed up at a family gathering in the vette the first time. Not sure if it was a safety issue or worried he would heave or spill his cup on the interior. That to me is the biggest worry not safety.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
We are talking about having a family. I don't want to get rid of my Corvette, is there anything wrong with having a baby seat in the passenger side seat of a Corvette? Has anyone done this?
In a word, if the baby is not properly secured, deployment of the airbag can KILL! Most vehicle manufacturers recommend that babies be in carriers in the back seat of the vehicle.

There are several pages in the Owners Manual (too many to copy and paste here) that describe the restraint system and latch system. For the '06 it begins on page 1-7 and continues through page 1-55. It includes information on how the system works and some important cautions.

·
Registered
879 Posts
All i know for sure is that it is policy on a military instalation and for all soldiers to put their children in the back seat under a certine age/ hight i cant remeber exactly but i have had several soldiers have to buy a different car for the family expantion

·
Registered
96 Posts
All i know for sure is that it is policy on a military instalation and for all soldiers to put their children in the back seat under a certine age/ hight i cant remeber exactly but i have had several soldiers have to buy a different car for the family expantion
This is a good point, made me think what is our nanny state/country laws on this. I can not address the miltary but in the states the following table which I got off web site http://dmvanswers.com/questions/341/What-is-the-law-about-children-in-front-seat gives the laws state by state.

But this does not talk about cars/trucks that have no rear seat or a small one. We have two child seats and neither will fit in the back seat of my pickup. It has a half door and small bench seat in the back. The room between the back of the cab and the front seat is to small for the child seat to fit, child seats are not small if you do not have kids and don't know. On this web site the experts suggest that no child should ride in the front seats until they are of driving age and by this table in most states they have to be at least 6 and some 13. That means you can not give your child a ride in the vette until they are 6/13 years old. I have to believe that this rule does not apply to cars/trucks with out a back seat but do not know for sure.

Alabama all children 12 and under are required to ride in the back seat
Alaska children 13 and under must be in the back seat
Arizona recommended children 12 and under ride in the back seat
Arkansas recommended all children ride in back seat
California no law
Colorado no law
Connecticut no law
Delaware all children under the age of 12 must be in the back seat
Florida no law
Georgia children 6 and under in the back seat
Hawaii no law
Idaho no law
Illinois no law
Indiana no law
Iowa 6 and older can ride in front seat
Kansas over 8 can ride in front seat
Kentucky children 7 years and older can wear seat belt in front seat
Louisiana children 6 and above can ride in front seat
Maine children less than 12 years of age and less than 100 pounds in the back seat
Maryland recommended all kids under 16 ride in back seat
Massachusetts 12 and under must ride in back seat
Michigan no law
Minnesota under the age of 13 should sit in the rear of a vehicle
Mississippi no law
Missouri no law
Montana no law
Nebraska no law
Nevada children under the age of 12 need to be properly restrained in the back seat
New Hampshire no law
New Jersey children younger than 8 must ride in the rear seat
New Mexico no law
New York no law
North Carolina no law
North Dakota no law
Ohio children under the age of 12 must be in the back seat
Oklahoma no law
Oregon no law
Pennsylvania recommended that children 12 and under ride in the back seat
Rhode Island 7 and older can ride in the front seat
South Carolina children under 6 years old cannot ride in the front seat
South Dakota no law
Tennessee no law
Texas no law
Utah no law
Vermont no law
Virginia no law
Washington children under 13 should be in the back seat
West Virginia no law
Wisconsin no law
Wyoming children 9 and younger must be in back seat
Washington DC no law

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have lived in Germany for 8 years which requires all 12 year olds in the back seat unless you don't have a back seat or the back seat is full of kids.

You should never put a rear facing child seat in a Corvette because if the airbag does go off, your baby will most likely be killed. While it varies by state a front facing seat is ok if it is properly secured (remember there is no latch system in the regular C6 or Vert).

My 5 year old sits with the pax seat in the full aft position. He can barely touch the glove box with his feet. Some seats require the anchor tether which is not good if you have a regular C6 or Vert.

I've also been in the military (either active duty or civilian) for 24 years and I never heard of them saying you cannot carry a child in the front seat of a front row seat only vehicle. Most commanders don't want to deal with the wrath of making a young person in the military buy a new car because of his/her law.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hell when I was a kid I sat on my moms lap and she held me. We didnt have no stinkin safety belts or seats.I got older I sat in the front seat trying to peek over the dash. I say wrap the kid in bubble wrap if its that big a prob. BTW just kidding about your child. But the rest is true back when I was little.Weird thing was I remember when I was 7 and my grandfather had a cyclone GT.He got busted once at over 100MPH with me in the front seat yelling faster lol.He got home my aunt tore into him and I thought she was going to kill him for that ticket he got. I know for a fact I got some of my bad need for speed from him.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've also been in the military (either active duty or civilian) for 24 years and I never heard of them saying you cannot carry a child in the front seat of a front row seat only vehicle. Most commanders don't want to deal with the wrath of making a young person in the military buy a new car because of his/her law.
I cant speak for your installation or ones you have been at previously and i have only been in in the army for 7 years but I know for a fact that the Ft. drum policy is to ticket soldiers at the gate or any where on post for not having a child in a proper car seat in the back seat of a vehicle because i had to lend my Subaru sti to a soldier wile he sold his single cab pic up to buy a mini van, wether this is something not all coc put up with mine has been noted on several occasions as being zero defect

·
Registered
87 Posts
The C6 vettes have child seat brackets in the passenger seat, and have the ability to disengage the passenger airbag. So with the proper "front facing seat", there are no legality issues. I have don it on several occasions with my 4 yr old daugeter. On and off Military installations. The whole back seat rule is due to the fact many modern cars do not have the ability to disengage the airbags. As the vettes do, there is no issue.

On a personal not, I probably wouldn't place a child under 2 in. IMO :cheers:

·
Registered
234 Posts
The C6 vettes have child seat brackets in the passenger seat, and have the ability to disengage the passenger airbag. So with the proper "front facing seat", there are no legality issues. I have don it on several occasions with my 4 yr old daugeter. On and off Military installations. The whole back seat rule is due to the fact many modern cars do not have the ability to disengage the airbags. As the vettes do, there is no issue.

On a personal not, I probably wouldn't place a child under 2 in. IMO :cheers:
:iagree: good point :thumbsup:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I cant speak for your installation or ones you have been at previously and i have only been in in the army for 7 years but I know for a fact that the Ft. drum policy is to ticket soldiers at the gate or any where on post for not having a child in a proper car seat in the back seat of a vehicle because i had to lend my Subaru sti to a soldier wile he sold his single cab pic up to buy a mini van, wether this is something not all coc put up with mine has been noted on several occasions as being zero defect
I just looked at Fort Drum's website and it does look like they beat you up with policies. The installation commander can enforce what ever policy he wants. I hope they warn newly assigned soldiers before they arrive. Be safe over in Iraq.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is no imminent danger other than the airbags. If you can turn off the airbags It's fine. Most collisions are rear-ended so I am not sure why there would be another reason to keep kids in the back other than the airbags.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts