Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when am at a light and then turns green i floor the gas pedal (it fun) then like 3 sec later the car turns off and the brakes get hard and the stearing gers hard too ( am goin like 50mph)
I have a 1978 corvette with a 350ci motor with a mild cam, MSD, Holly 670 cfm, and 2000 stall converter

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
sounds like its starving for fuel...several possibilities...weak fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, low float setting on the holley. Does it happen if you take off slowly or just if you nail it?..The brakes and steering get hard because the pump stops turning and you lose vacuum when the engine dies...does it start back up after it happens ?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it only happens when i nail it and after I start it up it back fire's but the carb is rebuilt and the fuel pump is new and so is the filter

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
check the float levels..it sounds like its running out of fuel..there also could be a restriction in a fuel hose to tank ..do you have a fuel pressure gauge? you need 5-6psi at the carb..and check to see if the filter is installed in the right direction..it is marked. and loosen the gas cap,see if it has any effect,the tank might not be venting, If it only does it on full throttle, its likely fuel related..That s all I can think of right now..maybe someone else has a thought..

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
check the float levels..it sounds like its running out of fuel..there also could be a restriction in a fuel hose to tank ..do you have a fuel pressure gauge? you need 5-6psi at the carb..and check to see if the filter is installed in the right direction..it is marked. and loosen the gas cap,see if it has any effect,the tank might not be venting, If it only does it on full throttle, its likely fuel related..That s all I can think of right now..maybe someone else has a thought..

I just thought of something you didn't mention fish. Fuel hoses often get soft with age and he might have a hose that is sucking shut. As the car is getting pretty old he should replace all of the fuel hoses based on their age alone.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the fuel psi but the gauge is jumping from # to # is that normal at idel it reads 3-6 and at 3,000 rpm's its 4-8
also, the fuel lines are meatal/copper but the rubber hoses were replaced in the front of the car. Should I replace the meatal/copper ones too?

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
mechanical pumps pulse, 3-6 psi is good..metal lines should be fine..check the filter, and see where your float levels are. on Holleys, there are 2 sight holes, one on each bowl, the fuel should be at the bottom edge of hole while idling..if not, loosen the locking nut on top of the bowl slightly, and turn the screw counter clockwise til it comes up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts