Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the price is a big difference between the two. But from construction stand point, weight, and other factors that you can share. What is the difference between the two types? For a car that isn't road raced or drag raced on regular basis would it really matter?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Forged wheels are strong, dense, yet very light wheels that high performance car enthusiasts use for their cars almost exclusively. The term “forged” refers to making an alloy wheel by forcing a raw block of metal into a shape with extreme pressure. Forging is an expensive, multi-stepped process.

Most of the alloy wheels on the market are one-piece cast wheels, not forged wheels. The difference between the two processes is that casting involves placing liquefied aluminum into a mold. As the aluminum cools, it is formed into a wheel.

More info is available online if you do a search.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I know the price is a big difference between the two. But from construction stand point, weight, and other factors that you can share. What is the difference between the two types? For a car that isn't road raced or drag raced on regular basis would it really matter?
Car2fast gave it a good overview. I'll cover your other questions:
When it comes to wheels, you can have two and only two of the following:
Light
Strong
Cheap

Cast wheels are cheaper, so they can be light and relatively weak, or strong but relatively heavy.
C6 "Gumby" wheels are forged weight about 2lbs less than the regular cast factory wheels, to put some figures to what I'm saying. You will not really notice that on a street car; save the money and use it on a nice set of tires, because that will make the biggest difference.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Forged wheels are strong, dense, yet very light wheels that high performance car enthusiasts use for their cars almost exclusively. The term “forged” refers to making an alloy wheel by forcing a raw block of metal into a shape with extreme pressure. Forging is an expensive, multi-stepped process.

Most of the alloy wheels on the market are one-piece cast wheels, not forged wheels. The difference between the two processes is that casting involves placing liquefied aluminum into a mold. As the aluminum cools, it is formed into a wheel.

More info is available online if you do a search.
:iagree::goodpost:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
When it comes to wheels, you can have two and only two of the following:
Light
Strong
Cheap
:yoda:
This is true of all things automotive:
Fast
Reliable
Cheap

you can have any 2.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
I searched for a used set of Chrome Forged Gumby's for months after stopping at Chevrolet Dealer and he said they list for over $1100 a piece. I finally found a set of take offs for $1100.00 for all four. I love em. :drool5::drool5::drool5:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Fast
Reliable
Cheap

you can have any 2.
I'll need to think about the "Fast and Cheap" combo :food-smiley-019: there is nothing cheap about getting your car fast :seeya:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Fast
Reliable
Cheap

you can have any 2.
Ain't that the truth :smilielol5:!

I'll need to think about the "Fast and Cheap" combo :food-smiley-019: there is nothing cheap about getting your car fast :seeya:
I had "Fast and Cheap" for 30,000 miles... Bone stock car with headers, used C6 Z06 exhaust, and a A&A base supercharger kit. Dynoed 597RWHP / 518RWTQ and pulled on eveything I lined up against, even bikes. Then it blew up. Now with a forged engine in the mix, it will no longer be "cheap". Hopefully it'll be reliable? :patriot:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Buy a basic nitrous kit and jet up to a 200 or 250 shot. Cheap and fast....

while it lasts. :Banane08:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts