Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
LED bulbs normally use a resistor to match the amp rate of the OEM incandescent bulb.
If you add to an existing circuit, you increase the amperage load on the flasher, and will likely alter the the flash rate.
I'd test before modding. Please post some pictures when done.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Hey Don,
If that is the case and the amperage is being brought to the level of the incandescent, than why would it create a problem?? Is it because it would be adding, for example, another bulb load to the maxed out circuit?? I believe the turn signal lights are on a separate circuit from the other lights but I might be wrong. They should still be represented by a 20 amp fuse.

JW Motoring sells a hyperflash hookup that may be for this issue.
Please advise
Thanks
The OEM flasher is designed to handle the number of bulbs from the factory. Adding extra bulbs would likely cause an increase in the flash rate.
I believe the hyperflash hookup is designed to add resistance so the LEDs flash at the rate of the bulb they're replacing.
If you're simply adding LEDs, you may not need the extra resistance. I would test before spending money to add resistance.
The 20A fused circuit is adequate to handle the additional LEDs.

·
Registered
779 Posts
It depends how you wire them (series or parallel). Don is right, if in parallel, the resistance the flasher "sees" will be less and the flash rate will increase. If in series, it will increase and flash rate would be a little slower, but I'm not sure if you'd even notice the difference. I would do as Don suggests, and do a temp hookup on one side before you install the LED, then check one side vs. the other.

My Corner lamps, LED strips, and LED lamps came in today, I'm hoping to do them this weekend!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I want to put lights in the side coves of my C5 which will react to the turn signals.
Did you want the coves lit all the time or just when the turn signal is engaged? Some switchback LED's might look pretty cool for that setup- white when driving, yellow when turning. What color is your car?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I installed an LED strip into each cove of my 2000. I also did this on my 73, and for that car i just tapped into the signal wires (+ to +, - to -) and it works great, no problems. The LEDs for it light up when my lights are turned on, and then also act as turn signals when the lights are on. But back to my 2000, I used a relay to power the LED strip and so the LEDs light up at night like my 73, but also they flash with the turn signals, but "out of sequence", so to speak. In other words, when the turn signals flash, LEDs do not, then when the factory turn signals flash off, the LEDs flash as turn signals. This was exactly the way I wanted it to act, so the LEDs would not be on in the daytime by being tapped directly into the DRL, and it looks pretty cool. No hyperflash either. I have received a lot of compliments on it. You could do a search to see pics, or the installation write-up I did. Also a write-up by Tstar shows another way of doing it using the fog light switch for activation. It's a pretty cool addition to have, subtle but definitely different. Hope you get it the way you want it. :thumbsup3:

Big T

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you want the coves lit all the time or just when the turn signal is engaged? Some switchback LED's might look pretty cool for that setup- white when driving, yellow when turning. What color is your car?
What are these switchbacks that you are referring to?? I am intrigued...
Please advise
Thanks

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm inspired!!!! What I really would like to do is have a set of amber/orange led's in the cove for the turn signals and a set of red led's in there also to function when the parking lights are activated. I would need to do some imaginative relay wiring whereas to shut the parking lights down when the turn signals turn on but i think this is futile as the turn signals turn on and off until the switch is deactivated by turning the steering wheel or manually turning the lever off, which would mean...as the turn signal flashed during its "OFF" cycle, the parking light red would flash opposite until the turn signal turned off. Hmmm... My reasoning is the turn signal is amber and the normal parking light color would be red. What color do you have coming out of your 2000 cove??? Would red suffice for turn signal???
I'm going to look up your post as you have great ideas and writeups.

Thanks
I have the amber LEDs in my coves. It is a close match for the factory amber/yellow color, and looks good on its own at night and also as a supplemental turn signal. If you arrange yours in the same manner, you could still have a set of red, wired sepateley to the DRL, and it would be on all the time....or you could wire them so they are only on at night and would not act as turn signals. Am I interpreting correctly what you are contemplating? Also, be advised, your local laws may not allow any other color than amber to be used, as red is technically supposed to be reserved for the rear of the vehicle. That being said I have red LEDs in my 73 and have never had any trouble. But you can definitely have both colors in your coves and use the one set (amber) as turn signals and the other (red) as running lights. The red ones you could either wire directly to the DRL and be on all the time, or you could wire them into either the fog light switch, a separate toggle, even a remote, and have them turn on whenever you wanted instead of having to have them on in the daytime, which is what will happen if you use the DRL. Its been awhile since I did mine but I believe all I have said above is true and accurate.

Big T

·
Registered
610 Posts
Oh, BTW, the switchbacks Gigity mentioned are usually used to replace the DRL in the front of the car. They will be white in the daytime, then turn yellow as the turn signals are activated. I am pretty sure you will need a device to prevent hyperflash if you go that route. I haven't done it but from what I have seen they do look pretty cool, and add a unique look to the front. Maybe I might get around to adding them now that we are talking about LEDs!

Big T

·
Registered
779 Posts
What are these switchbacks that you are referring to?? I am intrigued...
Please advise
Thanks
Big T has it right, they are usually used in the DRL's, but they only use about 300 mA, so adding them to the circuit shouldn't be an issue. I don't have a picture with them lit amber, but this is what they look like white:

809.jpg

801.jpg

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am pretty sure you will need a device to prevent hyperflash if you go that route.
Either a hyperflash harness or load resistors, but I strongly recomend the hyperflash harnes- it takes about 45 minutes to install, and is plug and play. The tough part is getting behind the interior temperature sensor ....:doh:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Wascapsfan---here is a brief summary of what I found in some old notes in the shop. First, I used an SPDT relay on each side of the car. I mounted each relay under the headlamp assembly by the framerails, mainly because I had them out for other work and also to keep the wiring to and from the turn signals as short as I could. The DRLs (turn signals) each have 3 wires---blue, brown, and black. Black is ground. The blue and brown are high power and low power signal wires. I wired the relay as follows:

30 tapped from low power turn signal wire
85 ground
86 tapped from high power turn signal wire
87a LED strip's + (positive) wire

Then its just a matter of tapping into wires and running the leads to the relay and to the LED strip. Be sure to use the correct size wire and especially wiretap if you use them.....more than one person has had a crimp not bite through the insulation completely and this is frustrating to track down! Now, you may notice I didn't say which color wire is low and which is high power...honestly I forget and it is not written down in my notes. But I THINK blue is high power, and the brown is low...that should be the one in the middle. Also don't forget to ground the - wire of the LED strip. There might be more info in a post I made a long time ago called Gill Lights/Turn Signals, or something like that. I think the later writeup I did with more info may have been deleted. In any case, I hope that helps to get you started at least, and helps you out. I am happy to help more if you need it, I know these things can look intimidating but its worth it! I have put LEDs all over the inside and outside of my car, and most people like them, especially the blue interior lights. Thank you for complimenting my car in your earlier post, I appreciate it and it means a lot to get positive feedback!

Best of luck, let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Big T

·
Registered
181 Posts
LED's in Cove

With the exception of the Headlights, you can put LED's anywhere there is an OEM bulb. Also, be aware...different Color LED's draw/use differnet amounts of power/amps...and yes...the wiring method does make a difference. As stated, some LED's have "built in resistors" to prevent "hyerflash" or you can add your own resistors but remember resistors retain heat...althought less than an OEM bulb when used with LED's. Again, with the exception of the Headlights, I replaced every OEM bulb with LED's to include adding a strip of White LED's under the "turn signals" in front similar to the Audi. I wired these to come on with the parking lights and functions as "turn signals" as well...and I did not use relays in any circuit.

One final point...althought LED's draw significantly less than OEM bulbs...it doesn't hurt to have a "top of the line" dry cell such as the Optima Red Top...or similiar. Take your time with mod and you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
How many light LED are you using in the coves??
9.5 inch in orange...
http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

24cm in amber...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24cm-24-LED-Waterproof-Flexible-Strip-Light-Amber-/330550452100?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf6579f84

I used 2 each side of the 24cm amber. One strip facing forward for cove illumination at night, (connected w/diodes to the front marker lights) one strip facing rearward for turn signals. (connected w/diodes to the DRL's)
I also have a couple wiring diagrams for using dedicated relays. You can pm me if interested...

:abduct:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts