Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 z51 a6 i have added kooks headers and x pipe. magnaflow axleback exhaust and halltech venom II CAI & tune This is my daily driver the reason for the cam is for the sound of the lope. is there a cam I can add without compomising the daily driving ability?
thanks

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Adding a cam solely for lope is a waste of money, IMO. Lope is a function of overlap and idle speed. If you want more lope, ask your tuner to reduce your idle speed by 50 rpm (have to do it in the tune). A lope tends to add a little shake so factor that into your drivability equation.

There are a number of cams you add and still have good manners in an A6 with a stock torque converter. A 218/230 116 +2 with XFI lobes would be easily tuned for good manners. It would have a mild lope at the stock idle speed.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Adding a cam solely for lope is a waste of money, IMO. Lope is a function of overlap and idle speed. If you want more lope, ask your tuner to reduce your idle speed by 50 rpm (have to do it in the tune). A lope tends to add a little shake so factor that into your drivability equation.

There are a number of cams you add and still have good manners in an A6 with a stock torque converter. A 218/230 116 +2 with XFI lobes would be easily tuned for good manners. It would have a mild lope at the stock idle speed.
Absolutely. Not to mention that if a cam is big enough to "lope" at idle, it will show that same characteristic in low RPM driving in the form of surging and bucking, so driveability definitely suffers, as does fuel economy.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The other guys already hit the first point I was going to make so whatever.

As for your question...I have a 232/234 .595/.598 113lsa cam and I have ZERO daily driver issues. It is all in the tune and mine is SPOT on. I even get the same gas mileage on the highway as before. Now, this is with a 6 speed and not the auto. I am not sure how it would be going through the TQ converter but like I said, I have NO surging or any ill effects and it definelty has a nice lope to it. Here is a vid of it, it could lope a little harder if you want it to but this gives you a good idea of the sound. This is running through Kooks 1 7/8 LT's with cats and straight pipes after that.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
^^^ sounds good. Did you tune it?

·
Registered
286 Posts
No, I got it tuned down at Heintz Racing in NC. Those guys were amazing. Im telling you, its a fantastic tune. I can lug it from near idle in any gear and never a sputter or stutter. It's gone from -15 to 115 degrees and from see level to a bit over 3k feet in altitude with no problems or complaints. I've done 10+ hour road trips with the AC on and it has pulled 30+ mpg. I am truly in love with the cam and the tune. Once the engine is warm and up to temp it lopes a bit harder than the video shows and the car has a nice shake to it.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
that does sound good, and I agree, you can have a longer duration cam and still be quite driveable at low speeds. An automatic / good stall will tolerate even more cam with no bucking or surging . But to install a big cam, with no other matching mods, just for the idle lope, seems foolhearty to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts