Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the tach's work in these cars is it via electric or cable? Just one of those odd bad questions this morning. Nothing is wrong with mine but was just thinking by what methods does it record/gather data from the motor and display in sweeping gauge?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
How does the tach's work in these cars is it via electric or cable? Just one of those odd bad questions this morning. Nothing is wrong with mine but was just thinking by what methods does it record/gather data from the motor and display in sweeping gauge?
It uses the crank position sensor (a Hall effect sensor reading an encoder wheel on the back of the crankshaft) signal to determine engine RPM. The tach itself gets its signal from the ECU, which does the job of converting the pulses from the encoder wheel into what I'd imagine is a 0-5 V signal to the tach.

I am not aware of any modern vehicle using a mechanical tach with a cable... My buddies's '79Mustang had a mechanical tach and that worked off a little plastic gear in the transmission. It was a POS and stopped working all the time.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It uses the crank position sensor (a Hall effect sensor reading an encoder wheel on the back of the crankshaft) signal to determine engine RPM. The tach itself gets its signal from the ECU, which does the job of converting the pulses from the encoder wheel into what I'd imagine is a 0-5 V signal to the tach.

I am not aware of any modern vehicle using a mechanical tach with a cable... My buddies's '79Mustang had a mechanical tach and that worked off a little plastic gear in the transmission. It was a POS and stopped working all the time.
:thumbsup3: Good post! Thanks for the info, I've wondered myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.