Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feedback being solicited from the enthusiast/professional, I installed weatherstripping, one piece for C4 front of targa top that includes the A-pillars. The weatherstrip is made with two grades of rubber, a soft EPDM (I think) for the top and sides with a harder rubber for the two upper corners and lower sections of the A-pillars. (Nice job of blending the types togetheat seams) My problem is the harder material "stands proud" and no amount of glass positioning allows the glass to compress the hard material at the top and bottom sections of the A-pillars to allow the glass to compress into the soft middle sections. Result is wind noise and rain leaking in. Is there any advice to continue with the installation? Should I buy the OEM for $480 from Mid America, which supplies two cheaper grades. Corvette Central does not list this product, Ecklers sells an EPDM version, Rubber Steele doesn't list info on material, Zip Products listed as latex, Wilcox doesn't list material but is made by CRC. Any professional help appreciated, opinions on quality or best material also being requested.

·
Registered
477 Posts
try heating with a hair dryer or heat gun. (be careful not to get to close with a heat gun ) getting the rubber good and warm should soften it up so you can snug the top down more and maybe the rubber will mold to the shape.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hear ya. I have to replace all the rubber on the doors, the hatch, door pillars, and the hard rubber around the targa top on my 1984. I'm thinking of doing it myself. Ive watched a dozen videos on how to do the installation. Looks easy enough. I'm trying to get a straight answer out of any supplier or manufacturer or website.... does anyone make or sell the exact weatherstriping that is on my car.? It seems that the softer weatherstriping is less expensive than the harder stuff but it fits better and is more or less the same size and shape and made in the USA.? I think ive seen 3 different grades of rubber. Ideally I'd like to get everything from one manufacturer... but i get the feeling that wont be possible because some rear hatch weatherstriping is better than others. I may have to do some research. Or any advice or experiences... any horror stories for Halloween..? By the way this is my first post. Ive enjoyed reading post back a decade.?

Mitch

P.s. giants suck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts