Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about motivation. Been kickin around a C3 project w/my brother's old 82 for a bit. Thought about going a couple different routes too . . . anyway . . .

My son wrecked his 2k Alero on New Year's Eve day and has been looking for a replacement car. He found one, a 1999 Z28, 1 owner, 54k, spent 6 years in Fla & about 3k miles in the last 3 years. It has a LS1 motor that supposedly is the same as the Vette's. Haven't driven a motorhead sled for a bunch of years, and he handed me the keys. About 20mph (an auto) in 1st & I nailed it . . . that thing started smokin the tires, shift into 2nd still smokin, finally catches, does that little wiggle & boom . . . off & running . . .

I know his 82 had a lot wider tire on it, just headers & duals with the muffler turned around and was pretty quick, but I sure don't remember it being near as fast as the Z . . .

What's an old man suppose to do . . . or need to do to keep the kid in the rear view mirror?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
spend money to start

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the C3 350s were only around 200 - 220 hp? Even if the Vette is lighter, it's gonna need a LOT of motor work to keep up with the Z.

And it's been way too long since I got to go & play in a car that's actually fun to play in. Didn't know how much I really missed it. The Z is a neat street car, it is quick, but I want fast . . .real fast!

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I thought the C3 350s were only around 200 - 220 hp? Even if the Vette is lighter, it's gonna need a LOT of motor work to keep up with the Z.

And it's been way too long since I got to go & play in a car that's actually fun to play in. Didn't know how much I really missed it. The Z is a neat street car, it is quick, but I want fast . . .real fast!
after 1972, they are, some even at 185hp.. you will need to spend some money if you want to keep up with even the Z28, much less newer Corvettes on the road...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The crate engines were my original thought for the project, Engine Factory has a nice selection too. Then I saw the NRE videos and that's what I really want!

So his Z (stock) is as fast if not faster then a stock C3, C4 & nonZ06 C5s? Is the LS1 engine that much better, stronger, more powerful then the older style 350s?

·
Registered
908 Posts
The crate engines were my original thought for the project, Engine Factory has a nice selection too. Then I saw the NRE videos and that's what I really want!

So his Z (stock) is as fast if not faster then a stock C3, C4 & nonZ06 C5s? Is the LS1 engine that much better, stronger, more powerful then the older style 350s?
It's not faster than any C5 which came with LS1 & LS6 (Z06) Engines. The C5 is lighter :thumbsup3:

A lot of advancements have been made with the LSx engine and it's light weight. I believe the C5 LS1 has 4 bolt mains while the standard Camaro LS1 has 2 bolt mains.

:coffeetime:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know the early C3s are fast, from the 327s to 427s, & 454s. They all pull well over 300 hp. That was before catalytic converters and all the pollution crap, lower compressions, etc. From what I remember, Fish, yours sounds like it would move down the street fairly quickly . . .

So, my original idea of putting a LS engine in the C3 , and how I found this forum and thread about the swap . . . what would, or is there an advantage to using a LS engine over a punched out stroked 350 either one super or turbocharged? I've seen the LS engines are $$$$ more, but more $$$$ doesn't always mean the best . . .

·
Registered
584 Posts
I personally think, stroke a 350 to a 383 or a 397 (if your budget allowes for a four bolt main motor, crank, rods, .....)
if not top end kit should get you 340-375 HP
with a good rear end ratio, you should get quick timing

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I know the early C3s are fast, from the 327s to 427s, & 454s. They all pull well over 300 hp. That was before catalytic converters and all the pollution crap, lower compressions, etc. From what I remember, Fish, yours sounds like it would move down the street fairly quickly . . .

So, my original idea of putting a LS engine in the C3 , and how I found this forum and thread about the swap . . . what would, or is there an advantage to using a LS engine over a punched out stroked 350 either one super or turbocharged? I've seen the LS engines are $$$$ more, but more $$$$ doesn't always mean the best . . .
yeah, mine will get your heart pounding..I have a C5 with the LS1 as well, and its no match for my C3! Not even close! the big benifit of the LS motors is the well mannered behavior at low speeds ,fuel economy, lightweight and just reliable as hell. There are couple members with LS1 s in C3 s.... but I prefer the old school way to make power in my C3, "STROKING"...and I love to hear that big roller cam lope at idle! and I can always drive my C5 too.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had a '98 Z28 that would run low 12's in the 1/4 with a few mods. So just remember how ever fast you make yours it's pretty cheap and easy to make his faster LOL

So go Big 383 stroker shift kit NOS something like that.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 26 Posts