Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am having a problem with my 1980 Coupe. The car is pulling to the right aggressively. I took it in to have alignment done and the alignment was OK. I rebuilt the RF caliper and installed new pads. And bled the system. Still pulls to the right. After the test drive I pulled the LF caliper and installed new pads so L and R would be matching. I will rebuild the LF caliper tomarrow but at this time the car still pulls to the right rather aggresively. It appears that the left side must not be matching the right in braking ability but the car pull to the right even when not braking. Can the flex lines cause a problem like this and could there be anything in the rear end that could cause an aggresive pull one way or the other? Any one have any ideas on this one?

Hop

·
Registered
492 Posts
Try crossing your front tires, if it pulls the other way, its the tires. If it pulls the same way & your brakes aren't dragging, then it's in the suspension/alignment. If it stops pulling, then don't cross the tires when you do rotations.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
if your alignment checked out OK, and theres no worn parts and there is no slack in your steering box then it must be the caliper dragging, the rear axle wont make car pull when applying brakes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ex-x,
Thanks for the info. I did try the tire swap with no success. I also had a full alignment done. Do youl have any areas of suspension that you might suspect? THe car has a level stance and no noises are coming from the front end. What do ya think?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Do you 100% trust the aligment shop? Did you get a before & after sheet of your specs?
I guess if you suspect a brake is dragging then the offending one will be very hot. Try to drive your vette for a couple of miles, taking it easy on the brakes, if 1 is hotter than the others, then that one is your problem.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Sometimes when I drive my c3(79) after letting it sit for an extended period it will pull to the right when I apply the brakes. I found that after driving awhile and aggressively hitting the brakes it stops pulling right. I suspect that the right front caliper is hanging and by allowing it to move back and forth it loosens and is okay. I have learned to be ready for the pull if I haven't driven it recently. When you hit the brakes hard--be ready!!

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Power steering?

Does it pull to the right all of the time? Whether you're braking or not? Because it it pulls to the right just driving down the road, it probably has nothing to do with the brakes.

Does your car have power steering? If it does, your steering control valve is very possibly out of adjustment. To adjust it, pop the little dust cover off the left end of it. Inside there is a 1/4" fine thread nut. Turn the nut a little bit to the right to make your car pull to the left. Don't turn the nut more than about 10th of a turn at a time because it's a real sensitive adjustment. I recently had to adjust mine and I just took my tools with me; stopping on the side of the road often to make tiny adjustments. Soon I had it tracking dead straight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toobroke,
Thanks for this info. So far this is something that I haven't tried yet. It does pull even when not braking. It pulls when I am going very slow and any other speed. I'll give this a try tomarrow. Where is the steering control valve located? I am assuming somewhere near the pump. THanks again.

Hop

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Toobroke,
Thanks for this info. So far this is something that I haven't tried yet. It does pull even when not braking. It pulls when I am going very slow and any other speed. I'll give this a try tomarrow. Where is the steering control valve located? I am assuming somewhere near the pump. THanks again.

Hop

Your steering control valve is located on the extreme left side of your lower steering linkage. It has a small dust cover on the left end of it that just pops off with a nudge with a screwdriver. Inside of the control valve is a 1/4" fine thread self-locking nut. Turning the nut to the right (clockwise) makes your car pull to the left. You'll need a 1/4" drive 7/16" socket and a real short 1/4" extension (2" to 3" long. And either a little 1/4" drive ratchet or a 1/4" drive breaker bar. Carry your tools with you and head out onto the road; stopping now and then to make tiny adjustments.

Make ONLY tiny adjustments at a time (about a 10th of a turn). Drive the car on a dead level road and see how your car tracks. If you need a little bit more adjustment, stop the car and turn the nut a bit farther to the right (clockwise). Keep on adjusting the nut until your car tracks dead straight on a level road. Then once you've achieved that, bring the car back home and pop the dust cover back on (use a little silicon around the edges to help hold it on).

Once it's adjusted properly, the steering control valve will remain set for a long time. But whenever you change the rubber bushings on the frame end of your steering cylinder, it will come out of adjustment again (and it will need re-adjusting). And as the new rubber bushings slowly collapse over time, your steering control valve will come out of adjustment again as they collapse.

I hope this information helps you solve your problem. And, let us know if it DID solve your problem. Because every C3 Corvette with power steering is likely to have steering control valve adjustment problems every now and then. This is information every C3 owner needs to know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To All,
Thanks to tobroketoretire, I have my problem fixed. I did just like he suggested and the problem was easily fixed. Thanks again for all the information. The power steering control adjustment was easy to get to especially if you turn your wheels all the way right. This helps to expose the valve making for easy adjustment on the road.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
To All,
Thanks to tobroketoretire, I have my problem fixed. I did just like he suggested and the problem was easily fixed. Thanks again for all the information. The power steering control adjustment was easy to get to especially if you turn your wheels all the way right. This helps to expose the valve making for easy adjustment on the road.

You're very welcome. It was an easy fix, huh? The steering control valve has a "centering spool" in it that does nothing much when you're going down the road in a straight line other than pass oil thru it back to the pump's reserviour. But when you turn your steering wheel, the centering spool gets moved slightly which then directs oil to one side (or the other) of the steering cylinder. When it's a little out-of-adjustment, a small amount of oil gets pushed into the steering cylinder instead of going back to the reserviour (making your car pull to the right usually). It's a real sensitive adjustment, and any change in the steering cylinders position will affect the control valve's adjustment. I'm glad your problem got solved.

·
Registered
496 Posts
LOL sorry I missed this thread...I just went thru this same problem on my 76 and it was indeed my steering control valve that was partly to blame (I say partly cuz it needed an alignment as well). It was the power steering control adjustment that was need to fully correct the pull (in my case, to the left).

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
LOL sorry I missed this thread...I just went thru this same problem on my 76 and it was indeed my steering control valve that was partly to blame (I say partly cuz it needed an alignment as well). It was the power steering control adjustment that was need to fully correct the pull (in my case, to the left).

Most C3 owners don't even realize that important valve is down there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you!!!!

thank you for this specific info guys!!!! I own a 1973 vette and was pulling hard right and this fixed it. I have had my vette a little over a year and there is a learning curve for me. having this info has helped a lot!!!:nerd:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts