Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
C3 1978 manual driver window issues...

Hi Guys,

I finally got one on my own and my project has begun... :) (C3 1978)

I have hard time getting my driver window to roll down and up... already broke one of the handles on it... :( are there any tricks to get this thing moving better again w/o taking it all apart?

I have taken the door panel off already and replaced the door handle.. wow that was fun, you know what I'm talking about if you ever did this yourself... :)

So the door panel is still off and I tried to lubricate the lines where the window mechanism is sliding on... but that didn't help much... ANY TIPS would be great at this point...

Thanks,
Zarks

·
Registered
474 Posts
You're probably going to have to take it apart-everything is old, dry, rusted, and corroded.
But, try the spray lubricants on the wheels and mechanism first. I bet you knew all that!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Try some manual assist pressure on the glass while you roll it up/down. May work better with 2 people and don't push so hard as to break it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
sounds like you need new rollers on the glass and lube up the channels with good grease no spray grease take it apart

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know what a 78 looks like but on my 72 you have the tracks that go up and down but you also need to lube the one that goes sideways. It's not that hard to take the window out and then the the regulator assy. out to clean and lube up everything. 30yr old grease gets pretty hard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for getting back to me so soon, I will give it a shot and see if I can make it better. Is there anything in particular that I need to worry about while taking out the window? Any issues adjusting it after I complete the cleanup / lube job ?

I'm asking all of this cause until now all I did is change the brakes and oil in my cars, never took on a bigger project than that. So any tips help. Thanks and appreciate it very much!

- Zarks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like I said I was working on my 72 but I cant imagine it being much different but you never know. There was only 2 bolts that held the window to the regulator but I had to take off the window door seal and chrome trim to get it to come out without taking off any hardware attached to the glass. If I remember correctly I slid the reg. off the track to get that out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured it out!!! I will post some pictures soon, when doing the other passenger door! It was OLD grease inside the handle crank part (gears) that was making the window go up and down super HARD. It was completely dried out and stuck... once I cleaned that and put new grease in there my window works like a charm!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts