Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody had any luck installing 1 of these Corvette America dash overlays. The 1 I purchased doesn't seem to fit well at all especially at the defrost vent area. It looks like I will have to sand or remove almost all of the original vinal to get it to fit. It looks a though I will have to buy a complete repro dash, but I don't know how they fit either. Any help is geatly appreciated.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I was able to find a used dash from a parts car on ebay.
I dyed it to match and it's been just fine.
It's a pain in the *** to install but with all
the lowers and instruments out, it's doable.
I've not heard anything good about the overlays.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have look on ebay and most of the dashes have broken speaker grills. Mine is just so rotted from the years of sunlight and heat that it is cracked in many places. Thought the overlay would do the trick, but I think I would be better off with an orig or even a repro at this point. I also have dyed many of the interior parts just to clean them up. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
:drool5:You could get yourself a nice length of leather to match your cars interior, get a good sun-proofer and leathercare product as well as a small plastic (non-abrasive type) putty knife and a can of 3M spraytac, and cover that dash yourself. That will take care of the numerous cracks in the original, give it a more upgraded custom look and it will fit near perfectly(OH.... need SHARP scissors too)!! As long as you do the upkeep to the leather, it'll last forever!! :drool5:

·
Registered
584 Posts
:drool5:You could get yourself a nice length of leather to match your cars interior, get a good sun-proofer and leathercare product as well as a small plastic (non-abrasive type) putty knife and a can of 3M spraytac, and cover that dash yourself. That will take care of the numerous cracks in the original, give it a more upgraded custom look and it will fit near perfectly(OH.... need SHARP scissors too)!! As long as you do the upkeep to the leather, it'll last forever!! :drool5:
that sounds like a goog idea!

I got an overlay and it dont look so good (maybe if the original is sanded down) took it off once and dont want to do it again
The rapping wouldn’t work for me cuz the corners are broken

71LS5: cant you buy new speaker grills or make them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guy's, I decided on the repro dash fron Corvette America. I have heard that they fit pretty good and look close to the original. I sent back the overlay. I had thought about recovering the orig but wasn't sure how that was going to turn out. I have done vinyl in the past and it work out pretty good. But in the long run I think the repro is the best way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts