Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I just took off my Trans Oil Pan and replaced the filter and drained the fluid... now I'm about to replace the old rusted/corroded pen and came across a dilemma... there are pens for 2 qts extra fluid, should I get that? What is the reason for it anyhow?

2nd question: how much fluid do I need to put in after the replacement of the pan and filter. (per book 6qts maint. / dry 20 qts)

3rd Where do I put the fluid? The dip stick hole?

Thanks guys!

Regards,
Z

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Dave is correct, pints not quarts.. fill thru dipstick tube with funnel.. run engine til warm,put in gear for few seconds. then park and check the dipstick while it idles.fill to mark. the larger pan is good for hi-perf use, it adds 2 qts more volume. if thats your twin carb motor, go for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave is correct, pints not quarts.. fill thru dipstick tube with funnel.. run engine til warm,put in gear for few seconds. then park and check the dipstick while it idles.fill to mark. the larger pan is good for hi-perf use, it adds 2 qts more volume. if thats your twin carb motor, go for it.
Yes that is a picture of my twin carb motor... thanks I will replace it then with the bigger pan then! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The larger pan is not for more fluid, it is too keep the fluid further away from the rotating components, to reduce aeration. Trucks and vans usually come with deep pans. If you use a deep pan make sure you cut down the fill tube 1" or you will overfill. :479:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
A deep pan does increase capacity.
Fish-Sorry to disagree but it should not increase fluid capacity. THe purpose of the deep pan is to put the fluid further away from the rotating components, to reduce aeration. Again not for added fluid capacity. This was told to me by someone who worked for GM THM R&D Division. I too thought the same thing about a deep pan until I was corrected by him. So there you go!:duel:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts